Elizabeth's Reviews > Christy

Christy by Catherine Marshall

Feb 23, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction, spiritual-stuff, strong-women, personal-collection
Read in February, 2009

This was a really enjoyable book, and I feel like I learned quite a bit about the culture of some of the mountain people in that area. I've always been interested in those little pockets of people whom time forgot.
What a strong female character the narrator is! I enjoy a woman in a book who can confront her fears, push up her sleeves and do what needs doing.

The book was a little bit heavy on the Christianity, but I did appreciate a lot of what was said about it, particularly the discussions between Christy and Alice Henderson, the older mentor with the Quaker background. Quaker beliefs interest me as it is, so this was an interesting bit of insight. I didn't think the religious parts were so frequent as to be annoying for a reader who isn't very religious. There have definitely been other books that I felt warranted much more complaint in that department.

All in all, this was very involving and I was disappointed to be done with it. Even better was knowing that it was based not only on a true story, but on the experiences of the author's own mother. What a treat for her to write a book about her mother's adventures!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christy.

Quotes Elizabeth Liked

“Some of what I wrote bordered on blasphemy....If there was a God, He would have to be truth. And in that case, candor--however impertinent--would be more pleasing to Him than posturing.”
Catherine Marshall, Christy

02/21/2009 page 372
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carol Hi Elizabeth! How do you like this so far? It is one of my favorites. Life seemed so much simpler back then...

Elizabeth Carol wrote: "Hi Elizabeth! How do you like this so far? It is one of my favorites. Life seemed so much simpler back then..."

Funny you should ask, Carol! I just logged on to update my status because I just finished the book a few minutes ago!

I did enjoy it quite a lot, and I sometimes wish I could live in a place and time like that when things were more simple. I don't envy them for having to deal with typhoid fever and things like that, though! Things got pretty rough for a while there!

Carol Very well-written review! I agree 100%.

Elizabeth Why, thank you! I wish I could have given it 4 1/2 stars. That would have been just right, I think.

Angela If you like historical fiction and strong female leads, you may enjoy the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.