Sarah's Reviews > The Suspect

The Suspect by L.R. Wright

Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: crimepieces
Read in June, 2012

If images of Canada conjure up thoughts of icy wilderness and miles of forest, you’re in for a surprise with this book. The Suspect by LR Wright is set in the small town of Sechelt on Canada’s ‘Sunshine Coast’, an area to the north of Vancouver famed for its mild climate and stunning coastline. It’s a place that Staff Sergeant Karl Alberg, of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, has chosen for an easy posting. However, when Carlyle Burke, an elderly man with few friends is found dead, Karl has to use his knowledge of human foibles and methodical policing to find the killer.

The Suspect is a short and unusual book that draws the reader into the story. The setting provides the backdrop to the murder investigation, with descriptions of fertile gardens and small coastal inlets, and there is an air of the retirement village about the whole plot, a gentle paced hunt for a murderer. For the reader there is never any doubt about the culprit as the opening chapter is written from the murderer’s point of view. The book charts Karl’s growing suspicions about the identity of the killer and his attempts to prove the man’s guilt and to ascertain the motive.

The police investigation part of the book works very well and Karl is clearly a talented policeman. Also central to the plot is a date that he goes on with Cassandra, the town’s librarian. Their budding romance is tainted by her friendship with the main suspect and the characterisation of the interweaving relationship between Karl, Cassandra and the suspect George is the principal strength of this book. This is a book with no major shocks but a gradual revealing of supposed wrongs done to a person. I’m not sure I believed that the motive was enough to make a man kill but it didn’t spoil my enjoyment of the book.

This unusual little book was a delight to read, all the more so as it was something I probably wouldn’t have picked up. I will certainly read more of this series if I can find them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Suspect.