LiteraryObsession's Reviews > Blue Asylum

Blue Asylum by Kathy Hepinstall

Jul 18, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read in June, 2012

As a disclaimer, I'm not a history buff and I have not read this to be analytical of the authors level of research for end-of-Civil-War era information. Quite honestly, I read it just to read it, and I reviewed it as I would any other novel. Therefore, this should not be seen as a literal review of a Historical Fiction, but rather as a review of a general work of fiction.

While Ms. Hepinstall's writing was engaging and the story compelling, I feel as though a lack of information and detail may have detracted enough from the story that I was unable to really fall in love with any of the characters, and as such was unable to invest a lot of emotion in their plights.

That said, I did read to the end and I -was- interested. This simple fact is, I think, thanks simply to the writing of the author; she really does have a way with words and her weaving of the plot could have produced so very much if only she'd gone into a little more depth. I'd have liked to have been able to see more of the reasoning behind the "love" portrayed and I'd have also really enjoyed knowing what exactly it was that drew so many people to our protagonist.

All in all, it was a good book. I don't know that I'd go out and buy a copy, were I you, but you definitely won't regret it if you borrow the book from the library and have a peek through its pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Asylum.