Peyton's Reviews > The Wind in the Willows

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

3642065
Jul 02, 12

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, humor, juvenile, literary-fiction, classic, 2012-favorites
Read from June 25 to July 02, 2012

I feel like a child who has just been told a marvelous story and is about to be tucked into bed. The Wind in the Willows comforts me, inspires me, encourages me to daydream; reading it feels like being rocked in the arms of a loving parent.

Grahame's story survives--thrives--today because it is a story of real friendship. Real friendship, with all of its conflicts and apologies, memories and wisdom. Mole, Rat, Badger, and Toad do not always enjoy one another, but they always love one another. They look out for one another, protect one another from the cruelties of the world, sacrifice their own ideas to the happiness of the others. We all want to have friends like these, we all want to be friends like these. If there's one thing we sorely lack in this maladjusted, disinterested generation, it's more lifelong, dyed-in-the-wool friendships such as these woodland creatures enjoy. The Wind in the Willows inspires riotous laughter, delightful nostalgia, and gentle lessons on growing up and moving on... just as an old friend can do. Kenneth Grahame has taught this brand of friendship to generations of children. And that is nothing less than magical.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind in the Willows.

06/26/2012 page 17