Rachel at theJeepDiva's Reviews > Eden's Root

Eden's Root by Rachel Fisher

Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: for-review
Read from June 28 to July 06, 2012

I really enjoyed this dystopian tale even though there were a few things that seemed to easy. I liked how the author made most things that happened in the story believable. I recommend checking this story out if you like dystopian tales. I give the story 4 stars.

Plot – First of all I feel this was a well written tale and it feels like the author really did her research. The story kept me interested and reading to find out what happens. Everything about this story seems like it could happen. The food shortages because of genetically altering plants and the riots once the food shortages started. The people running scared in the streets, the rumors of nukes and how people acted and reacted in the book are all a possibility should this ever happen. Also the thought of Eden is something I believe someone (hopefully) would have come up with if there was enough warning. I enjoyed going on raids with Fi and Sean and really enjoyed it once Asher joined in. The fact that there was no miracle cure for Fi’s mother made the story more real to life because there isn’t a cure.

The things I didn’t care for in this book is how easy it seemed for Fi and The Family to find good people who conveniently had the skills they needed to be added to their group. The Family did not turn anyone away or disagree over letting people in. It seemed the only conflict was when Asher was going to join and that wasn’t much of a conflict. I believe people living this close with no modern amenities are going to argue or disagree at times. Also I would have preferred to have a little less on the descriptions and maybe a little more action in the story.

Characters – The characters were well written and we learned quite a bit about them and their backgrounds. I liked that the story was written from different points of view. It gave us more insight into what was going on inside different characters minds and different locations also. Fi was the POV that the story was most often written from. I found her to be a strong person and a good leader no matter what her age was. She was capable of leading all these people to safety and able to steal enough to keep them all alive. I liked how she thought out her choice of weapons also. This was a big point for me because my husband is a gun enthusiast. A 22 as opposed to a Glock is going to be a better gun for a young girl and as long as you can shoot it is just as capable of injuring or killing as any other gun. The same goes for the bow and arrow vs. the cross bow.

The Romance – At first this was a little surprise for me with the romance. I kept expecting something to change between Fi and Sean. However I do like the way it turns out. I really like Asher and I love that the author had his weapon as a sword. Also you got to see some of the adults become more solid in their relationship as opposed to actually dividing them farther which was nice. The romance was good and it looks to continue in the next book.

All in all I liked this story even though I had a hard time believing parts of it. This seems to be a good start to a series. I would love to read the second book in the series to see where the author takes this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eden's Root.