Jamie's Reviews > Starling

Starling by Lesley Livingston

Jun 25, 2012

bookshelves: amazing-romance, academy, assassins-hunters-or-warriors, favorites, kickass-heroine, magic, mythology, other, read-again, strange-abilities
Read from August 30 to 31, 2012

Description
"Love is just the beginning... of the end."

Mason Starling is a champion fencer for Gosforth Academy, but she’s never had to fight for her life. Until now. When a ferocious storm rips through Manhattan and unleashes terrifying creatures onto Gosforth’s campus, Mason barely escapes alive. Without help from the mysterious stranger who appeared in the midst of the storm, she might not have made it at all. But now, in the aftermath, Mason’s life begins to spin dramatically, mystically out of control, and the only one who seems able to help her is the stranger who can remember nothing but his name: Fennrys Wolf.

As Mason and Fenn uncover more about Fenn’s past and the strange events that surround them, they realize that Mason’s family — and its dark allegiance to the ancient Norse gods — is at the center of everything. A predetermined fate seems to be closing in on Mason, but is it possible to change one’s destiny?

Readers who fell in love with Lesley Livingston’s Wondrous Strange trilogy and those who love Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments series will be captivated by the sweeping romance and pulse-pounding action of Starling.

My Thoughts:
WHATTHEHELL!? HOW CAN THEY JUST END IT LIKE THAT!? I waited for months for this book, and they're just going to end it like that? My heart …I can't. I thought this book was awesome, and not just because it had all my favorite aspects included in it.

I feel like Mason is a great name. I don't know, I've always liked the names that can be misinterpreted for a guy name, like Alexandria can be shortened to Alex. In school, a name like that could scar you, but her name was also significant. (view spoiler) I absolutely LOVED Rafe. He is Mason's oldest brother, and he seemed like such an amazing person. Strong, determined, calm, handsome, and he was so protective of Mason. Characters like Rafe make me want an older brother. Rory just pissed me off. He was Mason's second brother, and his thoughts and actions just…infuriate me. Heather, a pretty blonde that used to be one of Mason's enemies, had so many layers to her. On the outside she appeared shallow and cold-hearted, but on the inside she was very protective of Mason and she had hidden depths. I wonder what her family God is. Fennrys--aka: Fenn--was just…wow. Handsome, dark, mysterious, yet playful, funny, helpful, and caring.

He sucked in a breath as one panel shifted and rolled aside on a hidden track, revealing a shallow floor-to-ceiling cabinet that was full of…something really quite unexpected. "Well. It all makes sense now," Fennrys murmured to himself, stunned by what he'd found. "I'm a ninja."

The book jumps right into the action during the first couple of pages, which is great. I couldn't put it down after that. It's so fast-paced, and even though some people don't like that, I did. It helps keep everything interesting, and you just don't want to put the book down. I think I had to set it down once though. I had to go to sleep, and I just couldn't read anymore. The shock was too much. I sat there for like five minutes in the dark at 12:27 in the morning silently squealing, "HOLY SHIT. HOLY SHIIIT! WHAAAAT? OHMYGOD." I had to squeal it in my pillow as quietly as I could because people in the house were sleeping. x)

All the aspects I loved were in this book somehow. Fennrys was tall, dark, and mysterious. The MC, Mason, was so skilled with a sword. They all went to an academy for 'special' students. The academy wasn't mentioned often, but it was there nonetheless. All different types of Gods were mentioned in this book. And, the list just goes on and on.

Loved it, and I can't wait for the next one! Totally recommended (:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starling.