Katy's Reviews > Dearly, Beloved

Dearly, Beloved by Lia Habel

Jul 12, 12

Read from June 25 to July 12, 2012

It took me almost three weeks, and I fell asleep every day (sometimes two or three times) that I attempted to read it, but I FINALLY finished it! It wasn't that the book was boring because it definitely had potential and there was a lot going on. It just wasn't compelling enough to keep my attention.

My biggest complaint with the first book was there were WAY too many points of view with five different narrators. With this book, try six. Yes, you read that right, SIX different points of view.

My second biggest complaint with the first book was it started out really slow, but it did pick up about halfway through for me to end up liking it. With this book, slow pacing was not a complaint at all - quite the opposite really. In fact, I felt that there was TOO MUCH going on. There were too many different parties involved that it was so chaotic. It wasn't just the living vs. the zombies. It was Company Z, the living army, the Punks, the Change, the bird raiders (yes, I forgot the name), all the different gangs - ugh, my head is going to explode, and to be honest, I can't even remember everything that happened.

But despite everything that was going on, somehow or another, I just couldn't get into the book. I can't really explain why other than I just couldn't keep my focus. Now whether the scenes were just not interesting enough or there was so much going on that Habel didn't do justice to each part or that snippets here and there was just disruptive and disorienting - I don't know. All I know is I couldn't get into it.

And a good deal of what made the first book decent was the romance. With the exception of two passionate scene, I didn't feel the attraction between Bram and Nora. Their relationship was just flat, and even though I know it's because they're in the middle of wartime, the chemistry just wasn't there as Rhett and Scarlett in Gone with the Wind (yes, I did notice that Habel renamed the series, which I got a good kick out of).

Pamela was just a foolish character. Vesperatine, despite her intelligence, was almost as foolish. And Laura wasn't intriguing enough. I could have done without all of their points of view - perhaps even traded Laura's POV for Coalhouse. And for someone who was so badass in Book 1, Coalhouse's pathetic attitude was really grating on my nerves. I didn't really care for Allister's POV either, but I guess you have to have the villan in there somewhere.

Overall, it wasn't a bad book. Like at all. But I just had so many problems with it that it really ruined the reading experience for me. I really hope that Habel considers some of the complaints from critics (especially the abundance of POVs) in future books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dearly, Beloved.

06/26/2012 ""He was nearly missing one of his cheeks, the flesh torn down to the bone and flapping loosely over his jaw, his upper teeth exposed... They hadn’t yet reached the barricade, but a few of them were savaging the living reporters and protestors still blocking their path. I saw teeth sinking into skin, nails tearing through clothing. Blood foaming, spurting. Flesh stretching like hot rubber.""
06/26/2012
13.0% "Another point of view? Please don't tell me this book has FIVE points of view like the first book."
06/27/2012
30.0% "Ugh! A FIFTH point of view? Why do I have a feeling I'm going to have the same problems with this one as Book 1?"
07/01/2012
47.0% "Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce you to Vespertine, our SIXTH point of view."
07/01/2012
58.0% "Too many POVs (six), and too much going on."
07/06/2012
73.0% "(Chapter 28 - Laura) Too many POVs (six), and too much going on."
07/10/2012
80.0% "Chapter 31: Nora - Ugh, so much going on... My head hurts..."
07/10/2012
85.0% "Chapter 33: Laura - Ugh! I'm NEVER gonna get through this book. :("
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Soumi (new) - added it

Soumi I heard it's up on netgalley??

Katy Soumi (in love with PUCK) wrote: "I heard it's up on netgalley??"

Yup! And Endelweiss. :)

message 3: by Soumi (new) - added it

Soumi Katy wrote: "Soumi (in love with PUCK) wrote: "I heard it's up on netgalley??"

Yup! And Endelweiss. :)"

under which category ? I went yesterday in both sites but couldn't find :/

message 4: by Katy (last edited Jun 27, 2012 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

message 5: by Soumi (new) - added it

Soumi Hooray...thanks. Just requested the books. I'm reading Dearly Departed. It was kinda slow until half of the book

message 6: by Katy (last edited Jun 27, 2012 07:51PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy Soumi (in love with PUCK) wrote: "I'm reading Dearly Departed. It was kinda slow until half of the book"

Yeah, I almost gave up on Book 1 a lot of times. But the second half is pretty good. Too bad I had other problems with it though, or I would have rated it higher. This one doesn't start out slow though.

message 7: by Soumi (new) - added it

Soumi I was going through your status update about this one and saw you are having problem with many POVs, same here :/

message 8: by Katy (last edited Jun 27, 2012 08:18PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy Yeah, I just hit the fifth POV, so I'm putting this one on the back burner a bit.

message 9: by Bodea (new)

Bodea Lol, five POVs? Doing too much..

message 10: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy Bodea wrote: "Lol, five POVs? Doing too much.."

Actually, I've just been introduced to the sixth POV. That's right, SIX.

message 11: by Bodea (new)

Bodea Katy wrote: "Bodea wrote: "Lol, five POVs? Doing too much.."

Actually, I've just been introduced to the sixth POV. That's right, SIX."

Good lord. May the force be with you!! Is it at least good? I have the first book. Need to read it though.

message 12: by Rogier (new)

Rogier hii i wish u luck ^_^

message 13: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy I FINALLY FINISHED IT!!!

message 14: by Rogier (new)

Rogier gr8

message 15: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy Rogier wrote: "gr8"

LOL, unfortunately, not so much. :(

message 16: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy Sam wrote: "Completely agree. Where was the spark between Bram and Nora?! :("

The author was too busy concentrating on the other four characters I suppose.

message 17: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy Sam wrote: "Ha! I really enjoyed the first book but this one isn't impressing me at all. :("

I agree. :(

message 18: by Katy (last edited Feb 13, 2013 08:25PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy No clue. According to the author, she is hoping it will be five books. However, she is not currently working on the third book.