E.'s Reviews > If I Were You

Aug 19, 12

bookshelves: erotica, suspense
Read from July 20 to 23, 2012

4 1/2 stars.

"If I Were You" by Lisa Renee Jones is the erotic romantic suspense title that began with a journal found in a storage locker. Sara McMillan is an English teacher whose passion for art leads her on a journey that expands her horizons both personally and professionally. She searches for the mysterious Rebecca Mason whose erotic journey she is sharing vicariously and meets the talented and attractive Chris Merit even as she gets caught in a tug of war between him and the charismatic Mark Compton who undertakes to train Sara to his exacting standards. The combination of the mystery behind Rebecca and the sensual journey being choreographed by the two dominant men in Sara's life make this a mesmerizing read.

This is a sensual tale that weaves an intriguing mystery even as it explores one woman's lifestyle and struggle with her career choice. The opening scene conjures up a forbidden fascination with elements of BDSM and a voyeuristic look at one woman's experiences. Ms Jones does a wonderful job of capturing the reader's attention and sprinkling intriguing characters throughout the story even as she seeds the story with echoes of Rebecca's journey displayed by several of the secondary female characters. There are fascinating juxtapositions of Sara's necessarily stringent lifestyle and the hedonistic experiences provided by Chris as well as intriguing descriptions of the temptations offered to change her `vanilla' experiences into something darker. The cliffhanger ending will make the reader anxiously await the sequel. A mesmerizing mystery filled with delightful and beguiling descriptions of a complex relationship that may or may not have its own dark resolution as each player seeks a different ultimate goal.