Victoria Austin's Reviews > Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion

Overdressed by Elizabeth L. Cline

Jun 29, 12

Overdressed to the fascinating examination of how fast fashion has completely altered how Americans shop for clothes. Until I read Cline's book I always thought fast fashion was an economical way to stock up on wardrobe staples and try new trends. Fast fashion is the obscenely cheap clothes at H & M, Forever 21, J C Penny and Target just to name a few. The popularity of fast fashion has exploded over the last twenty years. This field is so profitable, almost every large company is looking to jump on the bandwagon. Even as the cost of durable good continues to climb, fashion (and I use the term very loosely here) prices have actually gone down. Cline covers all aspects of fashion from design, production (although fast fashion moves so fast there is hardly time to do a proper fitting), it's after life (they mostly end up in landfills). Cline analyzes the interstices and changes of the modern fashion industry. For example, Forever 21 spends less than two months designing, manufacturing and shipping their product and produces over 100 million pieces of clothing annually, haul videos on the internet dictate trends not design houses or fashion editors and the major trend of the 2000's was trends in and of themselves. This book will make me think twice the next time I pick up a t-shirt at H & M.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Overdressed.