Anthony's Reviews > The Inquisitor

The Inquisitor by Mark Allen Smith

M_50x66
Jun 27, 12

Read from June 25 to 27, 2012

This is a thriller in the classic sense. In this debut novel, the author Mark Allen Smith introduces Geiger, who is in the "Information Retrieval" business. In other words, Geiger is a professional torturer and uses his skills to get information from individuals who know or have something that someone else needs to have. Also known as "The Inquisitor", Geiger also has a heart and refuses to perform his special skills on children or the elderly.

This story revolves around Geiger being asked to retrieve information from a 12 year old boy, whose father has incriminating evidence against a shadow organization. Teh boy is brought to Geiger and when Geiger refuses to torture the boy, Geiger's client threatens to take the boy to another well know torturer, who is more brutal and vicious and has no problem with torturing anyone. Geiger thinks about this and then decides to rescue the boy and that is when this story kicks into high gear.

Some of the writing is a little formulaic and predictable, but Smith does capture the personalities of the characters very well. I couldn't wait to get to this book again after I had to put it down. Geiger is an interesting character and like the serial killer, Dexter, you wonder how you can root for this kind of person. But you do!

I do recommend this book, although it is definitely not for the squeamish. There is a sequel in the works and I am looking forward to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inquisitor.