Richard (Bound & Determined...)'s Reviews > The Uncommon Thread

The Uncommon Thread by R. Scott Anderson

Jan 01, 13

bookshelves: review-request
Read from June 25 to July 02, 2012

R. Scott Anderson’s The Uncommon Thread is a hilarious romp through the musings of a deep thinker. Albeit irreverent at times, there is something to be learned from Anderson.

The short essays are witty, full of quips and jabs, but not demeaning or degrading. They are fun, quick reads, all with a message to be taken from them. Several had me actually laughing out loud, some in thoughtful silence. Others brought me to near-tears. What you need to know going into these essays is that you will see life through the eyes of a very intelligent doctor, and reevaluate how you see your own life, how seriously or not you take it, how you will let what you read and learn change you.

I liked the honest voice in which each essay was written. It was relatable and genuine, like going to coffee with a dear friend and discussing the latest adventure and lessons learned. There was a bit of comfort and nostalgia, mixed in with just enough excitement to keep you drawn into the story. Several short stories were included as well. Some were humorous, others verging on unusual or weird.

One of the great things about reading a compilation of short stories or essays is that it is full of variety. I never got bored reading Anderson’s writings! They were captivating. I tended to enjoy most reading his retelling of something that happened within his family, stories about his children especially.

This is a fun, easy read that will open your mind, give your funny bone a workout, and most of all, entertain you.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Uncommon Thread.