Shannon's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Sep 04, 12

Read from September 01 to 04, 2012

3.5 stars. I was very intrigued by this story before picking up the book, although I was a little wary of the hype it generated. With several names mentioned in the acknowledgments of people whom I would love to meet, I felt it was necessary for me to dive into the pages.

I love the premise-- a "slowing" of the Earth's rotation has been detected, and this increasing phenomenon begins to alter the lives of those in Julia's world, as well as the rest of the people on the planet. Because Julia looks back on this year from a time in the future (when she is in her twenties), it is not truly a coming-of-age story. But in the first half of the book, I feel like it is written as a young adult representation of just such a story. It could have worked a little differently, if this were the case.

In the first 100 or so pages, I found myself a little disappointed. I even mentioned to a couple of friends that it felt like I could have written the book myself. This is not very fair, I understand, as I am a writer, and I certainly hope that readers will be more thrilled with my books than I was at that point with this one. But what I really meant is that it lacked a spark or unique voice. It did not seem to me to be a book that only Karen Thompson Walker could write.

It was coincidentally at this precise point that my interest in the story started to increase. I'm not sure what shift happened in the writing (or in my perspective), but I read the second half of the book in only a few hours, and I felt much more drawn to the characters and their stories.

The fact that a scientific reason for the "slowing" is never revealed bothered me through much of the book. By the end, I was less concerned with these missing details than I was with the fact that the narration ends over a decade later with still no explanation and, to me, no reason to tack on the extra years. I feel that with the simple style of writing and the innocent approach, it would have been more successful as a young adult novel that closed with a non-ending at the edge of that eventful year, looking forward toward the unknown.

The Age of Miracles was a good, quick read, and I would most likely read something else by the same author in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.

09/02/2012 page 68
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by T. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T. Greenwood Just added this to my list...no good??

Shannon T. wrote: "Just added this to my list...no good??"
Argh! No, this is an epic smartphone fail. I was trying to click on "to-read," and it marked my review (of a book I haven't read) as one star. :( How do I delete it?

Shannon Never mind. Got it. Whew!

message 4: by T. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T. Greenwood HaHaha! I'll put it back on my list :)