Hans's Reviews > Grantland Quarterly, Vol. 2

Grantland Quarterly, Vol. 2 by Bill Simmons

M_50x66
Jul 23, 12

Read from June 25 to July 22, 2012

The Grantland quarterly is like a book version of the orange questions in the Genus edition of Trivial Pursuit--with a few pink questions thrown in for good measure.

The second volume seemed to be pushed out a little faster than the first. There are a couple articles that show a footnote number, but the actual footnote is missing. Seemed like there were many places where the space between words was lost. Typos, aside, the key issue that I have with this volume is that I go to McSweeney's publishing for a Kardashian-free world. There is only one article focused on her, but that was one too many for me.

My favorite pieces were the voyage through Eddie Murphy's career and the oral history of the Hagler -vs.- Leonard fight. Could have used a little bit less on the NBA lock-out, but that's what the quarter had to offer for news, so that is understandable.

I hope that future volumes will tap into timelines, footnotes, and the bonus features that fill in the sports knowledge gaps for readers who do not live, breathe, and bleed sports. The first volume did this really well. Basically it focused on good writing with the right amount of backstory/side lights.

Already starting on volume 3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grantland Quarterly, Vol. 2.