Sheila's Reviews > Poseidon’s Children

Poseidon’s Children by Michael  West

2039269
Jun 25, 2012

bookshelves: cultural, current_issues, paranormal, romance, scifi-fantasy, suspense
Read in June, 2012

I want to see the movie—I certainly hope they’ll make one. Poseidon’s Children by Michael West reads with all the excitement and scares of a good Stephen King novel, filled with a fine mix of different characters, lots of interesting and believable viewpoints as events proceed, plenty of cliff-hangers, and an intriguing premise that goes from pleasantly disturbing to earth shatteringly dangerous. Plus, like the master, Michael West isn’t afraid to kill off a few characters, leaving readers wondering who will survive.

Two lovers walk by the sea. One screams. Another vacationer rushes to the beach to see what’s wrong. And a shark attack opens the way to much much more. Maybe the town’s just rallying around to protect the tourist trade, but soon it seems there’s far more going on. An artist’s dreams leave him wondering if his failure to act has killed someone. Meanwhile a shopkeeper wonders what else she could have done to protect her world. And Poseidon, it seems, does indeed have children in the sea.

Legends rise from the past, a well-drawn tourist town clinging to its peaceful history while rebels try to bring past ancient times up to date, and terrors and scares abound. The story arcs twist and twine between scientists, tourists, townies, monsters and more, all coming together in a violent made-for-the-movies climax. But there are serious undertones making the scares worthwhile, lessons learned and wisdom conveyed as characters earn the strength to carry on.

I’m not sure what I expected from this tale, but I had a really hard time putting it down, loved the characters, loved the depth of the imagination, and thoroughly enjoyed an exciting, intriguing and delightfully scary read.

Disclosure: I received a free ecopy of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poseidon’s Children.