Maggie Stiefvater's Reviews > Endangered

Endangered by Eliot Schrefer

Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, recommended

Five Things about Endangered:

1. This is the first five star review I've given that is five stars for how I would've viewed this book as the target audience. This book is an upper YA, and although I enjoyed it, it would've made my eyes huge with wonder and shock as a fourteen year old unaware of the history of the Congo. I'm quite pleased to imagine it making its way into the hands of teens now, though. It's one of those books that makes you look at your own culture a little differently; makes your world a little stretchier.

2. This book is not for everyone. Bad Things happen. I mean, it is not Little Bee, which caused me much rocking and moaning in the corner. But it is not The House at Pooh Corner either (I first typed that as the House at Poo Corner, which would have been a very different sort of book. Possibly one that would make me rock and moan). I've previously recommended Lucy Christopher's Stolen and Ruta Sepatys' Between Shades of Gray, and I'd say it would definitely appeal to folks who liked both of those. Definitely it has that gritty sense of place and history that seems to evade Pooh Corner.

3. This book is about bonobos. They are apes. That means they have no tail. We also have no tail. Bonobos, as you can see, are quite like us.

4. Tigger is not in this book. Unless he is a bonobo. Man, I really enjoy saying that word out loud. Go ahead. Try it.

5. This book reminded me a little bit of those old-fashioned adventure stories I read growing up. There's something a bit timeless about the telling of it, about the girl-and-an-animal element, about the questing-for-safety. Something familiar. It's not a book that changed my life now. But it would've changed my life then, and for that, five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Endangered.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle I too love the word bonobos... It just rolls right off your tongue... Bonobos. :P Part of your review reminds me of a time when I watched a Discovery channel show that specifically focused on the similarities between humans and bonobos.

Awesome review Maggie- I'll definitely be reading this one! :)

message 2: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy I also love bonobos. Have you read Ape House?

message 3: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Every time I hear the word bonobo I have to think of the movie The Ugly Truth. Which I think is very different from this book, which means that eventually I will get my hands on a copy

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah This sounds really good! Definatly going on my to-read list! :) [ha...Poo Corner...]

Angela Powell If you ever stop writing novels, please keep writing reviews. Hilarious and helpful. haha