Shelly's Reviews > A Human Element

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: reviews-requested
Read from July 08 to 11, 2012

Review originally posted on my blog {Dive} Under the Cover

I really enjoyed this book. I am finding that I am really liking a lot of the new authors I have been come across or been contacted by since this blog started getting out there a bit more. For all the tons of mediocre small or self published books out there there are a handful (likely many more!) that are really, really good. I love that I am able to read these books that I probably never would have come across if I hadn't started this blog. This is one of those books. In my searches on Goodreads and Amazon, and all the blogs I read, there is probably a 95% chance I never would have seen this book. The author, Donna Galanti, contacted me a couple weeks ago and asked if it's something I would be interested in reading and reviewing here. I read the synopsis and knew immediately that it's something that I would enjoy.

This book has a strong Science Fiction influence and that's one of the things I love about it. If you know anything about me then you know that I am a Sci-Fi junkie. It all started when I was really young and I watched some of the old Dr. Who episodes. I loved those, but it re-surfaced when I discovered The X-Files back when it was probably in it's first season. Generally, my Sci-Fi fixes are strictly related to TV and Movies, but occasionally I will come across a book that pulls me in. This was one of those books.

I am going to try not to spoil the plot! The book covers a span of 26 years or so. It starts in the late 70's when an event takes place that alters a young boy's life and, unbeknownst to him, sets him on a path that will eventually bring him back to this exact place where he will discover his destiny. Less than a year later a young woman dies giving birth to twin babies who could not be more completely opposite. One, a grotesquely deformed boy, is whisked away by a mysterious man in black. The other baby, a perfectly formed tiny girl, is given to the family that took in the pregnant mother.

We get little scenes throughout the years as Laura is growing up. Things that are happening that she doesn't understand. She meets Mr. B. and suffers tragedy after tragedy, and all the while there is this mysterious man in black watching her whenever one of these events take place. Elsewhere, Ben is also going through his own share of grief, but the man in black is watching over him as well. Then, we get glimpses of X-10. He is being raised in a government facility and used as a test subject. There is such a stunning darkness that is written in all of his scenes. It's hard to feel his pain because of how is he is using it to destroy so much, but it's also hard not to feel for him because of how he has been raised. He is truly a product of his environment, as much as it seems the opposite. There are still tiny glimpses of light in him at times.

Things culminate throughout the years bringing them all to the present. All these things that have happened have been bringing them all closer together even though they don't know it yet. They all discover why they have felt as though there has been something missing all these years. One of them has all the answers.

There is a sweet love story intertwined here with the main story. For me it was kind of a story of acceptance, though. They each have to come to terms with their role and until they do it's all a big jumbled up mess. This book is a pretty fast paced read with plenty of action that takes you all the way up to the final confrontation. Laura is the one who is supposed to be the only one who can face the evil in the end. She has to be the one to save them, but is she up to it? Will their love for one another survive the final battle and beyond?

I really enjoyed this book and I recommend it for anyone who likes this genre or really anything paranormal. This is more a Sci-Fi than a romance, although there is a wonderful love story here.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Human Element.

07/10/2012 page 148