John Wiswell's Reviews > Green Lantern: Rebirth

Green Lantern by Geoff Johns

Oct 17, 08

Read in September, 2008, read count: 1

After the rollercoaster Sinestro Corps ride turned me into a fan of the Green Lantern concept, I thought I’d give Geoff Johns’s earlier stories a try. I guess this storyline infuriated fans back in the day as it rewrote earlier storylines and reintroduced the dead Hal Jordan, the most famous of the ring-wielding heroes, as the main character. In doing so they very obviously undid progress on the title, turning Kyle Rayner into a supporting character. But as an individual story about corruption and willpower in the human spirit, symbolized with so much yellow and green pyrotechnics and science-fantasy cosmology, it’s a lot of fun. Reintroducing the villain Sinestro works as his mechanistic and moralistic lectures have great voice and chilling insight into the struggles, which themselves are very well-constructed. It’s also great to see how some heroes (particularly Batman) have lost faith in the Green Lanterns following a prior fall from grace – so nice to see the colorful heroes in some shades of emotional grey.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green Lantern.