Heather's Reviews > Lovestruck Summer

Lovestruck Summer by Melissa C. Walker

Jun 27, 12

bookshelves: own, music-themes
Read on June 25, 2012

Read all my reviews at The Flyleaf Review:)

If ever there was a case for a book in desperate need of a new cover, and possibly a new title, this would be that book. You guys, I can confidently say that had it not been for some fellow bloggers talking this book up, that I would have never given it a read because of that cover. I apologize to the creative team behind it, but in my opinion it totally distracts from the awesomeness that is this little book. I LOVED this book, so much more than I expected to, and while yes, I think it definitely qualifies as a fun beach read, it has a lot more depth to it than would appear.

First of all this book is new adult. If you are familiar with me and the blog than you know that I LOVE this offshoot of young adult lit. Secondly, music plays a central theme in Lovestruck Summer. You guys, I am SUCH a music nerd. Seeing live music is hands down one of my favorite things to do. And I love, love, love books with music themes. And the icing on the cake? Quinn's music of choice is alternative and indie, which also happens to be my music of choice. Thirdly, there is awesome character development afoot in this book. It's kind of amazing that Walker is able to pull this off in a book that literally took me about four hours to read. Fourth, this book might seem light and fluffy on the outside, but really has some meat to it. And finally, the romance is sweet and steamy sprinkled with plenty of swoon worthy moments.

I LOVE Quinn, you guys! I love her voice. I love her style. I love that she's a bit left of center and different from the norm. I love her blue hair and vintage band and bar T-shirts. I love her faults and all. I love her because she starts out with a definite idea of who she is and what she wants, out of school, life, friendships and guys, and by the end of this book she realizes the narrowness of that mindset. I love that she has great capacity for love but she can also be tough as nails when she needs to be. I love that when she wants something she goes after it and doesn't hesitate. I love that when she recognizes that she's acting like an ass, she calls herself on it and tries to make amends. And I love that even with all her snarky attitude and music snobbery, she's just a young woman on a journey to self discovery who is as human as the rest of us.

The best part of this book is the cast of wonderful characters. There is Penny, Quinn's cousin, and her sorority sister neighbor Chrissy, who are both so much like Elle Woods from Legally Blonde it's scary. There's Jade, the hip fellow intern that befriends Quinn and is the perfect wing woman and has an open mind to go along with her big heart. There is Sebastian, (what a great name for this character!), the hipster DJ who is everything Quinn thinks she wants in a summer fling, and than there is next door neighbor, Russ.

Russ, Russ, Russ. Beautiful, funny, wise, built, loud, sexy, goofy frat boy Russ. He's got the whole Texas cowboy vibe going and even though Quinn feels sure that is SO not her type, she comes to find that even she is not fully immune to his charm. I liked Russ from the start and grew to like him even more as the story progressed. I loved how he called Quinn out when she was being stubborn and close minded, yet he was always patient and forgiving. And I love how he used music, the very thing that Quinn responds to most, to bridge the gap between them.

Read the entire review
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lovestruck Summer.