Gina's Reviews > The Way We Fall

The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe

F_50x66
Jun 25, 12

Read in March, 2012

I can't really believe I finished this book. I haven't read anything as scary since The Coming Global Superstorm back in high school. This book is basically my worst nightmare and personal hell, all tied up with a black bow and speckled with blood to give it character. Save for the first 30 pages, I read the whole thing today. On the train ride home from work I spent half an hour in teary-eyed horror. I'm glad I finished it. I'm also glad it's over.

Seanan McGuire gave this book a glowing review, and I reserved it at the library that day.

The worst part of the book was the middle. Naturally that was the part I was reading on public transit with a stranger right next to me. But the book became more tolerable after that. Less personal hell, more typical dystopia. That was a bit unfortunate for the book from a storytelling standpoint, though I was glad for the break.

I'm not happy this book is a series. It should have been one book, and I can tell you now the next books in the series are going to be sappy teen love triangle, and I'm not interested. The strongest point of this book was the main characters fighting for something important, and not chasing down love interests. It was great to a book that was different and smart, with multiracial and multisexual characters. (I'm pretty sure multisexual isn't a word. I'm leaving it in anyway.) It was packed with facts about science and animals and information that will surely be valuable if our world ever devolves into biological warfare. Or if the chances are just right and Mother Nature decides our race just isn't worth fostering. Did I mention how this book is my personal hell?

The first half of the book is terrifying as we watch the virus spread across the island. I watched Kaelyn's neighbors and friends succumb in turn to the virus, just waiting for it to touch close to home. And then it did. The second half of the book was heart-breaking as one by one Kaelyn's loved ones were taken away from her. This book was just one emotional roller coaster. Even the quarantine-yellow cover is nerve wracking.

As scared shitless as this book made me, I'm glad I was able to finish it. I would definitely recommend it, with the warning that it'll be quite the trip. I wouldn't have been able to read this book a few weeks ago, and I need to hunt down something light-hearted to read next. This was a good book to read after The Night Circus, because it's always hard to find something you can get into after a really amazing book. And The Way We Fall really was a good book. But it's going to take some recovery. I wish bookstores had Discount Armageddon on the shelves early, even though it doesn't come out until tomorrow I was hoping to get it early since it's only a mass market paperback. I was hoping. Among Others would be really nice right now, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way We Fall.