Penny's Reviews > Child of God

Child of God by Cormac McCarthy

Oct 18, 08

Read in October, 2008

I am reading all Cormac McCarthy books. This particular book, Child of God, is full of crude behavior, psychopathic and necrophilic violence. It's a bit like Stephen King without the whimsey. I finished ten years ago reading all the S. King books that I wanted to read. I would say definitely McCarthy writes wholly about American men. There are few women in his books. As I open the cover to each in my selected series, I practically get a whiff of testosterone, blood and in-your-face agression. In his fiction, male focus is all of it. Nonetheless, Cormac McCarthy is the strongest American writer today. And that is what he has chosen to write about. His command is dynamic and masterful in vocabulary, fictional techniques, and the pure poetry of what fiction gives readers ---- i.e., the stuff that feeds the heart, mind, and curiosity simultaneously, helps us to understand ourselves and our fellow human beings and nurtures our most civilizing instincts both overtly and subtly. Most readers will think ah, mostly violence. Yes, from All the Pretty Horses to that recent movie, No Country For Old Men, Cormac McCarthy takes on our most important challenge, not to love, which is smooth and easy --- but to understand and deal with violence. This is the test of the greatest writers, to frame the question, how is it possible to address violence? In the greatest literary sense, In the Child of God especially, McCarthy has faced this question and transmitted to the reader a great emotional reaction to cope with; i.e., the violence in Child of God is repulsive. The ability of the author to transmit this emotion makes the writer masterful.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Child of God.