Kathleen's Reviews > Last Argument of Kings

Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie

Jul 04, 12

Read from June 25 to July 02, 2012

Brilliant series - gritty, brutal, funny, and the third book was the best of the three. Logen Ninefingers is my exact favorite kind of character, and he is drawn so very well.

But be warned - there is not a host of likable characters. Understandable, yes, but not likable. The torturer (who definitely does not abide by Geneva Conventions, and is in no way sugar-coated) is the second most likable character (I'm sorry, I can't love anyone more than The Bloody Nine) and one of the main protagonists in the whole series. And that should be a fair warning to how brutal the series is.

I think one of the things I appreciated the most about the series was how it dealt with war, and how it emphasized that killing a few characters off in a novel is not the saddest thing that can happen in a book. Real war has a lot of real, nasty, long term consequences that no one really likes to think about. This book didn't shy away from those, but didn't get all poesy about them either. There was no purple prose. No war memorials. Just the realities of a lot of hard decisions. As Logen Ninefingers says, "You have to be realistic."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Argument of Kings.