Patrice Sartor's Reviews > Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  Lawson

Jun 25, 2012

bookshelves: animals, drugs-alcohol-and-or-crime, friendship, love-sex-romance, humor, page-turner, parent-child, quirky-whacked, psychological, siblings, memoir
Read from June 20 to 27, 2012

HYSTERICAL! I laughed out loud all throughout this book, and at a few parts (laxatives!), I laughed until tears ran down my face. This was the best ab workout I've had by reading in years, and the funniest book I've read...since I can remember.

I am not familiar with Jenny Lawson's blog, though I will probably read it now. I am not sure if that would have increased (!) or decreased my sheer delight with Jenny's tales of growing up in the country with eccentric parents. Or the story of her courtship and later discussions with the ever-suffering Victor. Or any of them. They were all great, and I don't care if they are only half true, or all true, because the way Lawson told these stories is flawless.

I had my husband and my mother read the section that contains my favorite line: "And whenever I have menstrual cramps I could just pretend that Voldemort was close." Oh my god. Will this ever not be funny?? Does it matter? I think more people should be Lawson's kind of semi-crazy, 'cause then we would all run into more interesting and less dull individuals.

If we are friends, then you should LOVE this book. Go get it and read it RIGHT NOW! Even if you only find a few things funny, that is ok. But I cannot imagine anyone that I deem a decent person to not get extreme entertainment from this mostly true memoir.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Pretend This Never Happened.