Carol's Reviews > Sweet Baklava

Sweet Baklava by Debby Mayne

Nov 03, 14

bookshelves: 2012
Read in July, 2012

I had a difficult time on deciding my rating. "Sweet Baklava" by Debby Maine is a light romance situated in Tarpon Springs, Florida. This book has a lot of references to Greek American culture. I thoroughly enjoyed that. I picked it out because we have a branch of Greek Americans in our family. I have always loved Greek cuisine, music, dances and love to learn about the culture.

However,I was bothered by heavy emphasis on being Christian so much. I felt that it interfered with the story. It felt like little commercials were coming in and interrupting the story.

Because of its lightness, I would classify it as a Christian beach read. I did like the main character, Paula Andrews. She was owner of a candle and soap shop and friends with the Papadopoulos family. She and Nick Papadopoulos had been sweethearts in high school. Paula has to decide on whether to marry him or not. He is on leave from the air force. The book also covers her relationship with the shop workers and a shop lifter. I enjoyed reading all of the story except for the religious commericals.

A plus to the book is the abundance of Greek recipes in the back of the book. I am familiar with most of the foods and like that I now have a reference so that I can make them.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, if either you enjoy the religious references or can ignore and just like the story. No, I would not recommend it to anyone who would be offended by those religious references.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Baklava.

07/01/2012 page 10
07/07/2012 page 342
100.0% "Hope to have a review soon."
show 3 hidden updates…