Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > A Pirate's Love

A Pirate's Love by Johanna Lindsey

** spoiler alert ** I really shouldn't give this book four stars, because the violent rape of the heroine Bettina by the hero Tristan really disturbed me. However I liked the pirate setting and the vivid descriptions of the Caribbean settings. I am a pirate romance fiend, and since this is one of the first ones I read, and it was good other than the above issues, it's a keeper for me. Plus this is part of my original collection of books that I've had for over twenty years.

I thought Bettina was an interesting heroine, and had Tristan treated her more kindly, I would have liked him as well. She was very young and innocent. Certainly not old enough to handle an unscrupulous hero like Tristan. Also it was unfortunately that she was treated as a possession instead of a human being with feelings and needs and aspirations. During the time period, a well-bred virgin of good family was a highly prized commodity, so that is realistic for the time period. I have to take this book into the perspective of the time it was written in. Rightly or wrongly, it was very common to have hero rape of the heroine in romances, hence the term 'bodice ripper.' That certainly doesn't justify it. This book has scenes that you can't even say are forced seduction. They are fairly violent rape. And this is the kind of story that non-romance readers like to use to justify their belief that romance is trashy and has no redeeming value. However they neglect to see that a fair amount of these books are very well-researched and provide an eye into history that informs and entertains the reader.

I'm hardly the person to get on a moral soapbox about this. If I was that morally offended, I probably wouldn't own the book. To me, it is what it is. But I do feel very disturbed when I read those scenes. If I could erase them from the book, I'd probably give it five stars. But I cannot in good conscience make this a five star book for the reason of those scenes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Pirate's Love.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by LiteraryLover (new)

LiteraryLover I love a good pirate romance too but I haven't seen many of them lately and the last couple I remember reading weren't all that good. It's a shame about that scene. I think I would have given it a shot if you hadn't mentioned it. I don't really like that kind of stuff in a romance but it's not a deal breaker for me. However if it's as violent as you describe I have a feeling that could stretch it though. Great review though :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Summer. If you don't like violent rapes, you shouldn't read this book.

Holly I love unPC bodice rippers. But something about how he forced her to just lie there and take it disturbed me.

I also remember being annoyed about the mother. I can't really remember why, I just know that I was upset by the mom's attitude.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Holly I will admit I like some bodice rippers. It was when I started reading romance so I have a tolerance for some of it. Forced seduction doesn't bother me. But violent rape between the hero and heroine is an issue for me. Those scenes where he rapes her really disturbed me. Yes, the scenario with the mother was off too. She didn't really serve as a very good role model to her daughter. It was sad how mother and daughter were basically possessions. I don't mind a possessive hero, but he should value his heroine and not treat her like she's just an object to fight over. I think that is how Bettina and her mother are treated.

message 5: by Rane (new)

Rane I will admit to there was a few bodice rippers that I liked, but maybe because the hero became a great guy and really took care of his lady love.
But some just made my stomach turn and I thinking about it; I may have read this book before -_-;

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) There are some that are really good stories and can be read as adventure on top of the romance. Those are my favorites from that era. I love a reformed hero. He can be far from perfect, as long as he repents and really shows love and caring to the heroine. I'm not 100% that Tristan convinced me of his regard for Bettina.

message 7: by Rane (new)

Rane Danielle wrote: "There are some that are really good stories and can be read as adventure on top of the romance. Those are my favorites from that era. I love a reformed hero. He can be far from perfect, as long as ..."

*nods* Plus tieding her to a bookshelf while she had their kid doesn't redeem him in my eyes either (boy needs to just been thrown to the sharks)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Yup. It's more important for him to go fight the bad guy than to help her give birth. That was pretty callous. The part with him bragging to her dad about bagging her is pretty bad too. I know he didn't know that his friend was her dad, but it made him look bad that he had this young, innocent, pregnant mistress that he wouldn't even marry.

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Another favorite!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) It is an important book for me because it was my first pirate read. I don't like the rape scenes though.

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie I understand that a lot of people are put off by that, but for some reason I can't explain those kinds of scenes don't bother me.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Everyone's different. I don't mind a forced seduction or maybe even a non-violent rape as long as the hero realized it was wrong, but violent rape is just something I have trouble with from a hero.

message 13: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Danielle wrote: "Yup. It's more important for him to go fight the bad guy than to help her give birth. That was pretty callous. The part with him bragging to her dad about bagging her is pretty bad too. I know he d..."

Actually, I thought the part about bragging to her father, not knowing he was her father was pretty funny.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) On one level it's funny, but it made me feel bad for Bettina. He didn't even think of marrying the poor girl, and she's about to pop.

message 15: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Yeah, that's true but the mental pic I got of him bragging to his friend who just happened to be her father was pretty hysterical because I just knew he was going to get it from the father and he did. LOL.

message 17: by MashJ (new) - rated it 1 star

MashJ I could have enjoyed this if someone else had written it. Does JL improve?

message 18: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Johanna Lynsey is one of the BEST historical authors around

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Mshj, I don't think you will enjoy JL, knowing your tastes.