Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > No Rest for the Wicked

No Rest for the Wicked by Kresley Cole

Aug 13, 2013

bookshelves: celibate-or-less-experienced-hero, favorites, paranormal-romance, fated-to-be-mated, favorite-or-autobuy-author, enemies-to-lovers, kickbutt-heroine, owned-copy, part-of-a-series, warrior-woman, vampire, valkyrie, norse-mythology, hero-in-pursuit, 2013-200s-club-challenge, 2013-iad-series-reread, desert-island-books, desert-island-keepers, yearly-reading-challenge-2013, hero-to-die-for, scary-sexy-cool-dangerous-hero, dangerous-hero-challenge-2013, action-adventure-challenge-2013, sigh-worthy-hero, nerd-prof-scientist-genius-geek, heroine-grew-on-me, tormented-heroine, tortured-hero, quest, hot-and-steamy-romance, older-woman-younger-man, hero-black-hair-gray-eyes, stalkerific-hero
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) by: 2013 IAD Group reread
Recommended for: Lovers of heroes in pursuit, Vamp romance fans
Read from August 11 to 13, 2013 — I own a copy , read count: 2

2nd Read Completed Between 8/11-8/12/13

There is something about this series that feels like sinking into a comfortable, well-loved pair of shoes, or diving into your favorite comfort dish (think Mac N' Cheese). These books absorb me like few others. I was excited to reread it, and hopeful I would feel more connected and like Kaderin more this time around. It actually happened, so yay!

Before, I felt like she was just so mean to Sebastian and it bothered me. This time, I could put her into context of her life, and what she'd suffered. Her sorrow and her guilt at losing her sisters. How she couldn't bring them back, and had to live so many years without them. So she dedicated herself to wiping out those who had taken them from her. I could see why she was so armored against Sebastian. And yet, he found his way into her heart. That was a beautiful thing to experience, and it made me love Sebastian even more. I also realized that I did respect Kaderin. I think it's really easy to judge people for their mistakes and shortcomings (especially when we really don't know them). At church this Sunday, the pastor talked about the fact that people are 'holey' and we see all their holes and not the beauty of them as people. It was such a good message to remember. Sometimes, we are so 'holey' and those holes our own hurts cause us to become emotionally callous. As a result, we see others through jaundiced lens and just see what they do wrong, instead of how they are hurting as we hurt. This time around, I saw Kaderin for her pain, and what that pain made her do and act. The great thing about this story was that Sebastian loved her for who she was, and even when she pushed him away and hurt him, he didn't give up. That made me love him even more.

I also saw Sebastian in a deeper and even more beloved way. I have much love for Sebastian. He's everything I would love in a man: a powerful warrior, equally powerful intellectual, thoughtful, caring, and loving! He's as deep as an ocean, and I find that so sexy. Absolutely sigh-worthy. I loved the scene when Sebastian was turned on by the highly intellectual discussion of time paradox with Kaderin, that she could hold her own. My kind of man. Nerdtastic--my Kryptonite! Like I said, Lachlain has some stiff competition!

The concept of the Talisman's Hie was fun and exciting. I loved the globe-trotting adventure with a supernatural/fantastic twist. I liked the intense competition between Kaderin, Bowen, and Lucindeya. They all did some dirty tricks that made me wince. The Lore is so fantastically interesting, so learning more about it was fun. I felt bad for Bowen, even though I wanted Kaderin to win. I'm excited to see the sparks fly between Bowen and Mariketa. Of course, I love the interactions between Kaderin and her Valkyrie sisters, and Sebastian and his brother. It was great to see Nikolai and Myst (happy and together) so much in this book and to hear from Emma (and more obliquely Lachlain). As always, Cole has me laughing at the Valkyries' antics.

Man, I love those Wroth brothers! *Thud* Times Four!

It's exciting and lovely to see that I love these books just as much (if not more) the second time around.

Check out my Immortals After Dark Pinboard on Pinterest!

**Original Review Below***

Another great book in the Immortals After Dark series. Can I be honest and say that I really disliked Kaderin at first? She is one valkryie with a Valhalla-sized chip on her shoulder (Bad pun, I know). I felt bad for how she had suffered, and normally I love a strong, kickbutt heroine. But she came off massively unsympathetic and heartless initially. I didn't like the way she treated Sebastian, who was the sweetest guy. I'd love a guy like him. But over time, I grew to like Kaderin as I came to understand why her heart was so cold. She had watched her three sisters get slaughtered by vampires, unable to do anything to save them. All she had left for over a millenia was a sworn oath to destroy all vampires. In her mind, they were all of the Horde, which are the vampires who have given over to Bloodlust. She didn't realize that there were good vampires who fought the Horde.

Sebastian is a very loving character, but also a formidable warrior. He is one of the Wroth brothers, and was turned into a vampire by his oldest brothers Nikolai and Murdoch to fight in deposed Vampire King Kristoff's army to regain his kingdom. He was never good with women, being freakishly tall and lanky growing up. He had only been with two or three women in his life (compared to his playboy brother's Nikolai and Murdoch). He hated being a vampire, and was considering ending his miserable afterlife. But first he was going to try to win the Talisman Hie and get the Key, which would allow him to go back into the past and save his sisters who had died of plague back during the wars in their homeland Estonia. And then he sets his eyes on his Bride. Vampires are dead from the neck down, essentially. They cannot lust or feel desire for women until they meet their true Bride and become Blooded. It turns out that Kaderin the Coldhearted is Sebastian's Bride.

He is in love and lust. He cannot think of anything other than wooing and having his bride. He follows her around like a lost puppy. For those readers who like the alpha male bad boys, that may not sound very appealing, but it really is. Sebastian is a delicious hero. His determination to win Kaderin was very appealing to me. Kaderin is pretty annoyed and vows to kill this annoying vampire, who keeps trying to protect her, and is helping her to win the Talisman's Hie. But soon, his attractive intensity, his warrior prowess, and his masculine appeal starts to melt the ice around her heart.

So I started out this book holding Kaderin in dislike. However, seeing the way that Sebastian wins her over, and also how she is so tortured about the loss of her sisters, helped me to open my heart to Kaderin. She's not my favorite IAD heroine, but I do like her now.

No Rest for the Wicked is a great follow up to A Hunger Like No Other. Although Kaderin's cold-hearted demeanor may not be to every reader's tastes, this book is a must read for fans of paranormal, especially vampire romances. It certainly opened my eyes to the appeal of a vampire lover.
30 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Rest for the Wicked.

08/11/2013 marked as: currently-reading
08/13/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by Rane (new)

Rane He is in love and lust. He cannot think of anything other than wooing and having his bride. He follows her around like a lost puppy That sounds really cute! (does he stalk to?)

Awesome Review Danielle!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) These are awesome books if you decide to read them.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) You're tearing through these! Good thing she's written quite a few so far... ;)

Did you read the first one, in the anthology, oh what was it called, Playing Easy to Get or something?

valee This series was one of the best I've read. I love all the books in it. This one was one of the ones I enjoyed the least, but I gave to it 4 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I've read all the IADs so far. Just now posting reviews. Oh, I loved Nikolai. He was my favorite for a long time. But now every book gives me a new fave. Although Cade is still up there.

Vale did you like it least because of Kaderin? She was hard to like for me.

message 6: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Danielle!! I didn't really like the Kresley Cole book that I read, just thought it was really slow, but you may have sold me with the whole "following her around like a puppy dog" thing!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks Angelc. I hope you will give her another chance. Which KC book did you read? I admit her heroines can be more abrasive than some writers. But she has the best heroes paired with them.

message 8: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Danielle, I read If You Dare, one of her historicals. I honestly didn't finish it, but now that you mention it, part of the reason was b/c I found the heroine annoying ;) Maybe I should try a different book by her.

message 9: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Aug 26, 2009 10:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ Angelc wrote: "Danielle, I read If You Dare, one of her historicals. I honestly didn't finish it, but now that you mention it, part of the reason was b/c I found the heroine annoying ;) Maybe I should try a diffe..."

Angelac - I've read everything by Kresley Cole, and while I personally loved 'If You Dare' I will say that the writing style and characters are quite different in her paranormals. IYD was written years earlier, even before the two sequels. So it is a sophmore version of her writing style. If the reason you didn't like it was because of an annoying heroine, wait til you meet the ladies in the IAD series!! OMG they rule!! There isnt an ounce of weakness or simpering pouting in them (unless they are purposely manipulating someone and faking it!)

message 10: by Angelc (new)

Angelc :) Thanks KarLynP! I had no idea that she wrote If You Dare so early in her career!! It does make sense now looking back on it. I will have to give her another try, do you recommend any of her other historicals?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) 'Regarding If You Dare, that was one of her very early books, but I found something in her writing that appealed to me. KarLyn is spot on. The IAD heroines are something else.

My favorite of her historicals is If You Deceive. Ethan MacCarrick is a very bad boy. :)

Yz the Whyz I love Sebastian!...thought I'll just say that.. :)

♡Karlyn P♡ AngelaC- my favorite Cole historicals are The Captain of All Pleasures (her debut) and If You Dare. The heroine in The Captain of All Pleasures was a strong, spirited lady who wanted to be a sea captain and enters a big cross-Atlantic race. It's a sexy adventure historical. Over the top, but a really fun read.

message 15: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Thanks Danielle and KarLynP! I'll have to try out If you Deceive and Captain of All Pleasures. Thanks!

Debbie Another one of my favorite series.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I love these books, Debbie. But I think you all can tell that. :)

SheLove2Read LOVED Sebastian!

Matthew this book sounds awesome, but how depressing of a read is the first one? (A hunger like no other)

I read some reviews for it and it appears to be a pessimistic read for most of the book...not sure i wanna get that(A hunger like no other), but this (No rest for the wicked) sounds perfect

Yz the Whyz It's not depressing at all, Matthew. Cole's books are usually laced with humor, and pretty much light in my opinion.

Matthew Thanks I'll try the series out.