Barbarac's Reviews > Wife of the Gods

Wife of the Gods by Kwei Quartey

Nov 07, 14

bookshelves: around-the-world, audio-book, mystery-thriller-spy, africa, must-listen
Read from August 03 to 10, 2012

I'm so glad there's a second book about this detective because I didn't want this book to end. Darko Dawson is my new favorite detective series. I enjoyed the fact that he's a regular person I can relate to, a normal family life with its ups and downs. He truly cares for people. And yet he's not perfect.
Taking place in Ghana I got a glimpse of the lifestyle and culture in both the city and the small towns. And what a contrast that is. From the description in the book, Accra is really the big city, with cellphones, electronics, nice houses and fancy cars driving around. Even Hummers! In small towns people still don't have telephone, superstitions are the norm, spirits, witches...
The discussion between Dawson and one other charachter about how one of the trokosis may have had AIDS really shows how difficult it is for some people to get past their cultural beliefs.
I guessed who the killer was half-way into the book but I still managed to enjoy it.
The narrator, Simon Prebble, does an excellent job.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wife of the Gods.

08/07/2012
40.0% "I'm enjoying Kwei Quartey's writing style. I love how he describes everybody's skin tone and texture. I'm one of those people that likes to touch things so I can feel all kinds of textures. Up to now I'm still intrigued by the books 2 mysteries."
08/09/2012
75.0% "After reading several mysteries where the main character's personal life is on the depressing side (Kurt Wallander, Inspector Erlendur), it's nice and refreshing to find a detective with a great relationship with his wife and son. I will still keep reading the ones with depressing lives, that doesn't take away from the quality of the book, but Darko Dawson is definitely my new hero for the moment."
show 1 hidden update…