Rachel's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Oct 15, 12

More like 2.5 stars. This book is well written, and a good summer read, especially if you like this kind of genre. I was going to give it 3 stars and mention how the writing was skilled, and the plotting, formatting were both expertly done, but then I planned to mention how years down the road, it would be a book I would have forgotten all about. But then I got to the ending and was disappointed. I'm too old-fashioned while reading this genre, I want [SPOILER ALERT] the bad guy to get caught, and not get what he or she wants. Granted, the protagonist of the story is no angel, so perhaps his fate is in some ways deserved, but an ending like that seems fairly gimmicky to me, like the author didn't want it to be another psychological mystery of sorts, forgotten on the shelf with the "perfect" ending (like I had predicted). Instead I'll probably remember this book with a roll of the eyes, and how I really disliked being led along to the very end, the dangling carrot being manipulated expectations for justice. But justice never came, my friends. And I found that highly annoying.
106 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

Licia I agree with the injustice of it all. I wanted Amy to pay and I didn't get that satisfaction.

Marileyda Martinez I agree 100%, I wanted some justice!! It should've been called "perfect crime" instead of it's title

Derek Smith Ditto. The ending ruined it for me. I really, really wanted Nick to out-Amy Amy. Nick acted too predicably towards the end. I thought, hoped, that he had something up his sleeve. Nope.

message 4: by HeatherChip (new) - added it

HeatherChip I am absolutely in the same boat with all of you. I was severely TICKED when I flipped to the last page and read ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS. WHAT?!?!?! That's the end?!?!?!? I wanted some incredible twist at the end where Nick out-smarted the girl who thought of and detailed everything. I really, really loved reading this book but the ending ruined it for me. Grrrrr!

message 5: by Jami (new) - rated it 1 star

Jami I was pissed after slogging through the first half only to find out that half of what I'd read were 'fake' diary entries. Then it got more interesting, but I also wanted Amy to get her due in the end, which didn't happen, thanks to spineless Nick. I very much dislike books that aggravate me!

Pokey Patty I kinda hated it, sorry everyone!

Shahe Demirjian True... The end ruined it! I liked the story nd the way it is written... Even the dbl switch narrative form... But the enddddddddd ... I can't control my rage !

Emily I felt the same way. I even read the last sentence twice thinking, "That can't be it." Sadly it was.

Jenny I felt the same way too about the ending!!!

Megan Corwin I wanted them both to die, or him to actually murder her. The ending was a cop out.

Suzanne The only character I liked/cared about was the cat.

message 12: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora Dudding I wish there had been some fantastic plot twist in the end...Andie kills them both, Desi's mom gets Amy, Nick outsmarts Amy and....Something besides acknowledgements!

message 13: by Sadie (new) - added it

Sadie I thought the ending was perfect. They deserve each other.

Marian Sadie wrote: "I thought the ending was perfect. They deserve each other."

I agree with you Sadie..

message 15: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy Lou I have just finished reading the book and was also disappointed by the ending! I want closure in a book damn it! I get the idea that they are stuck in the game of it but from what we know about them, pretending didn't work last time and certainly won't work this time.