Tina's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

Jun 25, 12

Read from June 22 to 25, 2012, read count: 1

A lot of people in reviewing the first book, I noticed, complained about the lack of complexity/explanation regarding the magic in this series, but I say: it's good the way it is. I don't NEED a more in-depth explanation. It's self-explanatory because it's magic. If I wanted to read an explanation of how magic worked, I would rather read an essay on the hypothetical use of the power than have to slog through pages of tedious technical crap (that would likely have errors) in a novel. Hell, I'd rather NOT know how it worked. Think of midi-chlorians in Star Wars; sometimes the mystery is gone when you try to explain it. It's magic. Let it go.

Anyways, this book was a great read, just like the first. A bit of mystery, a bit of suspense, more growth of the characters... I wonder though, whether the series is going to continue in this formulaic way: Harry et al notice something weird; weird stuff requires research/breaking rules; Harry et al are threatened by weird thing; Harry has to face off to weird thing; happy ending.

If so, I might get a little bored, but so far it seems like these first two books exist to get Harry some experience/some years on him before the real thing starts.

What I really like about the novels though, are the supporting characters and their added side-stories. Percy having a girlfriend (I called that from the start of the book, haha) was cute! Hermione's little crush was also endearing. The random ghost party was pretty hilarious, I thought. It's these little inclusions that make this story so appealing - it suggests that there are other things happening in the universe, that may or may not affect Harry at all, but serve to add that little bit of colour to the story.

Yeah, I'm going to plow through these novels one after the other, it seems.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Jason Are you just reading the series? I'm so jealous. I don't re-read these two as much because I agree with you- but wait until you get to the third book. It's complex, perfectly plotted and really gets the series going. I think that it best combined the whimsy of the first two with the dark sophistication of the latter four.

Tina Yep, I actually just finished number 3. I'm hooked, and the other four are just waiting to be opened!