Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > Cold As Ice

Cold As Ice by Anne Stuart

If Bastien Toussaint is like a bowie knife, brutally destructive, sharp and vicious, then Peter is a stiletto. They are both dangerous men, efficient weapons for the Committee. It's amazing how they could be so different, but still embody the ice cold, ruthless hero.

Peter starts out as a bland, gray ghost (as Genevieve calls him). He is deceptively mild-mannered in his role as assistant to billionaire philantropist Harry Van Dorn. Genevieve doesn't think much of him, except that he's annoyingly perceptive. However, that is an important tool in his arsenal: to be anywhere and everywhere, to blend in and do whatever it takes to get the job done.

On the second reread, it still took me a while to get a fix on Peter. He is so in the bland character that I underestimated him. Before I knew it, he had slipped under my skin. I can see why he drives Genevieve crazy. He is designed to be a woman's fatal flaw. I had to wonder how someone so bland could use sex as a weapon, but that was before he showed who he really was. The real man could probably seduce the panties off the most virtuous of nuns. The real man, well he's someone that is not to be underestimated.

Genevieve is a frustrating heroine. For a smart girl, she can make some stupid decisions. It's like she's almost all id. Her emotions seem to govern her intellect, which makes her an interesting counterpart to Peter, who analyzes and calculates every decision, until his well-buried heart makes its desires known. Still, his sharp mind maintains admirable control of the man.

Frankly, Black Ice is a hard act to follow. Bastien is so striking a ruthless hero, Peter throws you for a loop. However, that's good that he is so different. I found that although he didn't have that blatantly sexy edge of Bastien, I still loved him. He was the insidious kind of seduction that winds its way into your senses. If Bastien is a fine, potent wine, then Peter is like a tart, subtle dessert that you think you aren't impressed with at first, but the more you sample it, the more heady its taste becomes. Kind of like sherbet. I am an ice cream girl. Love its richness. But sherbet is something I always enjoy immensely when I eat it. And then I end up craving more.I read this book when I was tired out of my skull, and that's probably not a good time to evaluate a book, so it took me a while to feel his effects. However, I found that I enjoyed the sharp mind of his, the sensuality that he uses so effectively as a tool. I was very intrigued with how fast he fell for Genevieve, and once I thought about it, it made sense. Genevieve was not a woman easily dismissed, like the women in his past. He couldn't kill her or let her be killed. She meant too much to him. Although she was a very annoying woman, he had a way of getting her to do what he wanted, eventually. He kept her on her toes, made her alive with feeling, and killed her with his powerful, heady seduction.

Please forgive me if this review is incoherent. I am highly sleep-deprived right now. Although Cold as Ice just doesn't have the bite of Black Ice, I find that I still loved this book. Peter is in his own way just as irresistible as Bastien. His difference has an appeal of its own. Genevieve keeps things lively, and the plot moving, with her tendency to make stupid moves, and her complete inability to resist Peter. But who can blame her for the tendency to succumb to Peter?

Anne Stuart is an author who manages to keep me reading and never fails to lure me into her seductive web of dark romance and passion. Her tart humor is always appreciated. And no one writes a hero like this woman. It's rare that I don't enjoy her writing, and this story can't get less than five stars because what I love about her is here on offer. And Peter makes up for any shortcomings I might have seen as far as a villain that was more petulant child than anything else, and too quick a resolution on the suspense. Plus, the reappearance of Bastien and the advent of sexy Takashi O'Brien can definitely sway this reader's positive opinion.

Casting Wish List:

James D'Arcy as Peter Jensen:

Katherine Heigl as Genevieve Spenser:

Peter is the stiletto, deadly and precise

37 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold As Ice.

06/29 page 176
49.0% 9 comments
02/26 marked as: read

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Love her books. And adore her heroes. They end up being perfect, IMO.

Great review!

message 3: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Great review D!

Verity U made me wanna pull out my DVD stash to drool over Nicholas Nickleby & Sherlock Holmes, D. I luv Mr. D'Arcy.

message 7: by Lucie (new) - added it

Lucie "a heart so wild" Wow..another great reviews Danielle!!

Alice I'm so excited. I just found a copy of this one. Can't wait to dig in!

Alice I adored Peter a lot more than I did Bastien. I am also very intrigued by Takashi.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) The guys are all different, but they are all dangerous in their own way. I like the contrast we get here.

Alice I agree with that. How do Stuart's historicals compare?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I think they are awesome. The Rohan series has made me a happy camper.

Alice I've got the first Rohan book on my TBR list. I will have to check it out soon. No doubt if you love I will too!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Alice, I'm glad you're enjoying the series.

Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️ Great review....and your casting wish list is perfect!! Loved this series, someone said there was going to be another Ice Novel...have you heard anything??

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Dorsey. On Thin Ice is out on Kindle but not PB. And I heard there will be another book after it.

Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️ Wow...I had no idea 'On Thin Ice' was out thanks!! Do you know if the next book be released in PB or Kindle only too?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I don't know, Dorsey. I'm hoping they put On Thin Ice out in paperback. Surely they will.

message 22: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth I LOVE this series. I have this book waiting for me, but I'm sooo tempted to put it off until Thanksgiving and just give myself a little sweet Ice treat by reading them all again in order. I've never liked pumpkin pie anyway..

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Either way you're good, Ruth. It's a matter of instant or delayed gratification. :)

Aruana Love your review. I'm rereading it at the moment and I just love Peter and his "blandness".

Susan (the other Susan) Great review! Bastien was a tough read for me, maybe because (unlike Peter) he took an active role in tormenting Chloe before he decided to rescue her, plus he allowed there to be some torture while he decided whether to intervene. I had an easier time liking Peter. The meanest thing Peter did to Genevieve was taking away her Xanax.... I think Peter will make a great husband, and that Bastien should probably get therapy before he settles down.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Susan. I can see your point about Bastien.

Susan (the other Susan) Bastien was sexier.m

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Susan wrote: "Bastien was sexier.m"

Yeah, he probably is. My favorite is Reno, so far. :)

Susan (the other Susan) I liked the skillful way in which the author had Genevieve slowly become aware of Peter's sexual allure… in deadly little steps, as his attraction to her causes him to let the facade slip, like pieces of clothing in a game of strip poker. By the time she knows who he is and what he's about, both she and I are just about drooling over this man who started out as the mild-mannered, sexually androgynous butler. Having read the whole series I think Peter is the one Ice man I'd choose if I were going to spend a lifetime with one of them (pant). He's more than he at first seems to be in so many ways. When we glimpse these couples in later books, Bastien never seems quite to have healed; he wants to be isolated with Chloe and have nothing to do with his past. Peter, in contrast, seems to become whole to such an extent that he can be a loyal friend to his former brothers-in-arms, a peacemaker even. He finds balance… Did I mention that he's my BOYFRIEND??

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Very well said, Susan. I definitely saw the layers fall away from Peter, just as Genevieve. Also a good point about Peter being the most well-adjusted Ice hero.

Susan (the other Susan) Yes, he is a well-adjusted ex assassin. :-)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Susan wrote: "Yes, he is a well-adjusted ex assassin. :-)"

Sounds like an oxymoron. :)

Susan (the other Susan) What must we do to get an Ice story for Mahmoud? He's had plenty of time to grow up.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Susan wrote: "What must we do to get an Ice story for Mahmoud? He's had plenty of time to grow up."

I get the impression that Mira won't approve any more Ice books. Maybe Anne will self-publish.