Nix's Reviews > Things That Are

2620277
Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: andrew-clements, science-fiction
Read on June 23, 2012, read count: 1

I find myself yet again in the awkward position of having skipped one of the intermediate books in a series. And that's for the third time this month. (Which makes me wonder where my mind is while I'm checking out books at the library.) Foundation and Song of the Lioness weren't too hard to recover from. Neither was this, though the voice in Alicia's head mystified me and I was initially unsure if Bobby was still visible, as he'd been at the end of Things Not Seen. But it wasn't too much of a hindrance.

But despite reader incompetence, this book was great. Things That Are was written from the point of view of a blind teenager, Alicia, who first befriended Invisible Bobby in the first book. Alicia meets yet another invisible person, this one an English man named William. But the government is after the invisibility secret, and they are looking for William.

When reviewing this book, you have to keep in mind that the narrator is blind. That's impressive, if only from a technical standpoint. Clements describes pretty much everything (save Alicia's imaginings) with only sound and touch. Sight is a sense many authors rely on, but Clements is able to convey setting and people without discussing what they look like. By doing this, his descriptions are in a way more intimate. It conveys better how Alicia lives in the world, as the reader must grope his way through the story-world with little to no idea of what anything looks like. The imagination comes into play more.

But it was a great book. I'm looking forward to Things Hoped For.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things That Are.