Becky's Reviews > Hidden Paradise

Hidden Paradise by Janet Mullany

Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, netgalley
Read on June 25, 2012

Oh. My. Goodness. Where to start?

First, the plot. It was decent but not spectacular, and had many aspects of some unbelievability. The idea of starting an Austen-based vacationland isn't a new one (at least in literature; I'd imagine there are real-life ones out there, if I'd care to torture myself and look into yet another vacation I can't afford), though I hadn't seen one before that was so clearly based on its guests really being able to--ahem--enjoy themselves while there. For the most part Lou's mindset as a young, recently widowed heroine was pretty well done, though (view spoiler)

Second, the extracurricular activities. There really is just about every kind you can imagine in this book, described in great detail, and literally from the very first page. If that's what you're looking for, you're in luck. If it's going to bother you, then you should probably keep on looking.

Finally, the Austen angle. It was definitely a side aspect of this novel, apart from its setting. There is one tiny little part that deals with a possible "real" Austen link, though I was fairly ambivalent about that plot thread. It definitely worked well as a convenient tie-in to Lou's life, but beyond that it didn't do a whole lot for this reader.

Overall, it was a quick read that I did enjoy though I'm not sure I'd read it again--though I probably will look into other books by the author since I did enjoy her writing style. Really, the cover says a lot about this one. If it makes you cringe, you probably shouldn't read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Paradise.