Alex Lewis's Reviews > Death at SeaWorld: Shamu and the Dark Side of Killer Whales in Captivity

Death at SeaWorld by David  Kirby

Jul 09, 12

Recommended for: Anyone!
Read from July 02 to 09, 2012, read count: 1

Death at SeaWorld is by far one of the best books I have ever read. I've been very active in the anti-captivity movement in the last six months. I've been highly anticipating Kirby's book for many obvious reasons but more so to have a deeper in-depth knowledge of what goes on "behind the scenes" at entertainment parks like SeaWorld. My suspicions of these places were not only confirmed by Kirby but I was also shocked at some of the events that have gone on in the past that I had no knowledge of before reading this book.

I could not put the book down and simply did not want it to end. I loved following the journeys of each individual featured in the book. I was ecstatic to learn about wild Orca's through Naomi Rose's life. I yearn to see what Naomi has in her lifetime and have complete respect for all her work. I enjoyed reading about the SeaWorld trainers and their daily interactions. At times I found myself wincing at the mere thought of having to accomplish the daily "tasks" that are expected of a SeaWorld "trainer". Lastly, I could not get enough of the OSHA investigation and the people who were deeply involved. The book is thrilling and thorough with accounts of people who worked incredibly hard to improve the lives of trainers and Killer Whales at SeaWorld after the devastating loss of Dawn Brancheau.

I found myself at times, laughing out loud, crying in utter sadness and also completely disgusted with the practices of the people involved in Orca captivity. David has done a fantastic job of breaking down complicated events so that a person, who is perhaps not as involved as I, could understand thoroughly. Not only is this book the first of it's kind, I am hopeful that the general public will start questioning places like SeaWorld and how they operate their business.

This book is going to challenge the way that people look at SeaWorld and other "entertainment" parks across the world. Perhaps for some it may encourage them to become involved and demand a change in practice and procedures. I loved every minute of reading this book and would recommend it to anyone who likes a good thriller but also enjoys retaining knowledge at the same time. You will not regret reading this book! My hat's off to Kirby, he's done, yet again, a beyond-excellent job with this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death at SeaWorld.