Trish's Reviews > The Hiding Place

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom

Oct 18, 08

Read in October, 2008

I did not realize that I have read an excerpt from this book that was circulated via email. When I came to the spot, it was unmistakable and powerful.

The Ten Boom family was remarkable the way they read scriptures and prayed both night and day. They were religious about time, too. I can't imagine eating breakfast at exactly 8:10 am every morning. This spoke volumes to me about the pace of life back in the day. The father was endearing and I was impressed by the way he taught his daughter. In one instance, he taught that knowledge is sometimes too heavy for a child to carry and that the father will carry it for her until she is able. This later taught her to allow Heavenly Father to carry some things too hard for her to bear in a concentration camp.

The ultimate message of the book is how God's light shines clearest in darkness and the worst of situations can allow his glory to shine forth. While the author's father and sister Betsie were the most devout followers of Christ, it was she who had the courage to follow through with the vision of telling the world and serving those post-war victims. Because of her family, she was able to remember what to do after the war.

I'd like to think I would have done the same, but I can never be sure if I would not just drown my sorrows in a bag of gummy bears.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hiding Place.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Brown why only 2 stars?

Trish I don't know what I'm doing with the stars... that's why I prefer to read what people write. For me, this book was just OK, so that's what it says on the two stars--that it was OK. I liked it, but it was hard for me to keep going during parts of it.

Chaundra Anderson Two stars is a low rating. But your review does not reflect that.

Trish Chaundra wrote: "Two stars is a low rating. But your review does not reflect that."

Maybe... I really don't like the rating system. I do try to be more positive in my reviews, but like I said in my previous comment, I did struggle to get through it.