Jennifer's Reviews > Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You: A Novel

Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You by Peter Cameron

Oct 19, 08

bookshelves: young-adult, best-beloved, queer, fiction, antihero
Recommended for: disaffected young adults, disaffected adults
Read in October, 2008, read count: 1

The comparisons to Catcher in the Rye are interesting; mostly because I positively couldn't stand Catcher when I tried reading it in high school, and I adored this. Perhaps I should give Holden another shot. Except that's working off the assumption that this is just another Catcher, updated for the next gen, which...is something I take issue with. Newsflash: something doesn't have to be "the next ____!". It can, in fact, be its own thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You.

Quotes Jennifer Liked

Peter Cameron
“What if she was meant to be, or could have been, someone important in my life? I think that's what scares me: the randomness of everything. That the people who could be important to you might just pass you by. Or you pass them by. How do you know...I felt that by walking away I was abandoning [them], that I spent my entire life, day after day, abandoning people.”
Peter Cameron, Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You: A Novel

Peter Cameron
“People who have only good experiences aren't very interesting. They may be content, and happy after a fashion, but they aren't very deep. It may seem a misfortune now, and it makes things difficult, but well--it's easy to feel all the happy, simple stuff. Not that happiness is necessarily simple. But I don't think you're going to have a life like that, and I think you'll be the better for it. The difficult thing is to not be overwhelmed by the bad patches. You must not let them defeat you. You must see them as a gift--a cruel gift, but a gift nonetheless.”
Peter Cameron, Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You: A Novel