Laura's Reviews > What I Didn't Say

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

Jun 25, 12

Read in June, 2012

Emotional. Absorbing. Beautiful. Uplifting.

I feel like I have discovered something today. This book is a little gem and the author is truly iconic. The journey she takes you on is not merely a very good read - but a lesson in life. Looking at the other things she has written, I'm so glad she took the time out to tell this wonderful (and personal) story.

Jake is a character you slowly find yourself falling in love with from the start. His voice and emotions are both raw and heart-wrenching. The setting on the island quickly comes to life and it's almost as if you are standing just a few feet away, watching the events unfold.

The interactions between Jake and Sam are all the more precious due to the unique circumstances, making this one of the most engaging romances I have read in a long time. I found the note-exchanging particularly rewarding, especially towards the end when they write on each other's arms. Just picturing that scene makes me gush.

As the author so rightly points out, being mute (as with any disability) is not something that occurs to you until it happens to you or someone in your life. I learned a lot from reading Jake and Sam's story and I know it will stay with me for a long time to come.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Didn't Say.