Meagan's Reviews > The House at Riverton

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

Nov 03, 08

bookshelves: england, gothic-tones, mystery, love-romance, 2008-reads, part-of-a-series
Read in November, 2008

I am loosely giving this book four stars but it is my own fault that I did not enjoy it more. I happened to read the last page-something I generally try to avoid- and it completely mislead me. I kept expecting some dramatic twist to explain how everything wrapped up to be the happily ever after ending I had envisioned due to my fatal reading error. I was left a little dumbstruck when I realized how I had misinterpreted the ending. So note to anyone who reads this: don't read the ending at any point before you are supposed to. It will ruin the book on a few different levels.

Although I was interested in this book, the characters were not as developed as I would have liked and there were a few loose ends that were not resolved as much as I would have preferred. One nice thing was that it was very clean. Hardly any language (one F-word is all that I recall) and no sex. Affairs were insinuated but we are not made familiar with any of the nitty-gritty details. On those levels I would recommend to any of my friends that can appreciate a story that has a somewhat depressing ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House at Riverton.

10/22/2008 page 24
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Asmaa Why did you read the last page? That's, like, the ultimate book-ruiner of all times!

Meagan You know, I am not sure. Something made me want to skip ahead- which I try not to do at all cost- but for some reason I did on this one. It has been so long since I read it that I don't remember what in the world would have made me do it. :)

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele I've been guilty of that as well....mainly when I think a character I'm invested in may die I feel the need to brace myself. ;)