Yolanda Sfetsos's Reviews > Snow White and the Huntsman

Snow White and the Huntsman by Lily Blake

Jul 04, 12

bookshelves: faeries, fantasy
Read from July 04 to 05, 2012 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** Snow White has always been one of my favourite fairy tales, in its many incarnations. So I was really looking forward to reading the latest retelling.

Snow White was only a child when the beautiful and very alluring Ravenna entered her life. It didn't take long for her father, King Magnus, to fall in love with Ravenna and marry her. But on their wedding night Ravenna kills him, everyone else inside the castle, imprisons Snow White, and takes over the kingdom.

Ten years later, the world is a dark and horrible place. Tainted by Queen Ravenna's rule her magic is killing the landscape and leaching happiness from everyone.

Snow White is still imprisoned inside the tower dungeon, while Ravenna's brother helps her capture young girls so she can steal the essence from their youthful bodies. It's how she stays beautiful and youthful. The Queen rules with an iron fist, and when her beloved mirror tells her that she can seal her youth and immortality by taking Snow White's heart, she sends her brother to take care of it. But neither of them counted on Snow White's determination, need for freedom and will to live, so she escapes.

Knowing she can only seal her fate by getting Snow White back, the Queen forces the Huntsman to go and search for her. She offers him the one thing he wants the most--his dead wife returned. So he heads out to the Dark Forest, determined to bring the girl back, but instead finds himself in a surprising adventure that will affect everyone...

The story is told in multiple points of view, so the characterization in this book is wonderful. Snow White might be young and has been beaten down by the evil queen, but she's still strong, selfless and kind. She's determined to first escape the castle and later defeat the evil. I loved that she's a warrior, too. And Eric. Yeah, he was awesome! Such a tortured soul who'd closed off his heart and soul to the world after the death of his wife so much all he cares about is drinking. The interaction between them was excellent, and their growth is amazing.

I also have to admit that I liked Ravenna having a much darker, twisted backstory to explain why she's so horrible, magical, and only focused on one thing.

Snow White and the Huntsman is a magical, amazing, and beautiful retelling of a timeless tale. It hooked me in from the very beginning because not only is the story addictive, but it's very well written and the world described so vividly it comes alive with every word.

I absolutely loved it, and can't wait to see the movie! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow White and the Huntsman.

07/04/2012 page 51
23.0% "Oooh, this is GOOD!!"
07/04/2012 page 127
58.0% "Wow, this is excellent. Can't wait to watch the movie!"