Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Pivot Point

Pivot Point by Kasie West

Mar 04, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, hybrid-multiple-genre, multiple-pov, science-fiction
Recommended for: Anyone looking for a story which hasn't been done a thousand times before
Read in February, 2013

Two Paths - One Choice.

photo d86c5e5c-6476-40c8-8733-1568b7757efa_zps01622687.jpg
3.5 stars (but the ending was 5 stars, so hurry up book 2!).

Poor Addie. I have a hard time trying to figure out which restaurant to go to or which movie to watch when given a choice. If you told me to pick between two paths which would lead my life in complete opposite directions, yet both paths might come with their own set of problems...forget it. I would probably end up having a nervous breakdown.

3 second basic story concept : Addie's parents are getting a divorce. Addie has powers which allow her to look into her future. Addie decides to investigate two different futures - one with her mom and one with her dad.

The first 30% of the book had me sort of frustrated. I knew that I was being set up for what was to come but it's slightly annoying to switch back and forth with the story pov's. Something about the flow reminded me of how I felt while reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I distinctly remember enjoying one of the Will povs, but the other not as much. Instead of 2 different Wills, we had 2 of the same Addie in a different setting. One side of the Addie story I really liked. The other side floundered. The chapter headings were a fun little touch to distinguish between 2 different stories which took place in the PARA (special powers) community and the NORM (normal) community.

The PARA side : the 'not as interesting' half of the story

photo 4d57f5ff-1da1-4ca4-af14-817ed83dc88d_zps744bd5e7.jpg

Everyone has special powers in this closeted community. Addie's starting something with the local football hero. You would think that the side of the story in which everyone uses special powers would be the best part, but eh. I guess when everyone can do something and it becomes part of everyday life, this turns out to be just as normal as any other story.

The NORM side : wins the battle of the dueling worlds

photo 04e48332-dcc9-4050-ac00-e9e76c53c504_zps97c1c355.jpg
Not surprisingly, I have to go with the lovable artistic guy as a love interest. This side of the story was more interesting because this life was new and different to Addie. For her, learning to use appliances and unlock doors the way everyone else has to IS abnormal.

My overall thoughts :

I spent almost two weeks sitting on this book after reading the first 30%. There was nothing that jumped out and grabbed me about what was going on because everything seemed to be focused on everyday life and the two boys who Addie might have to pick between (which was sort of lackluster imo when you could be focusing more on crazy powers), so I decided to come back when I was ready. But when I did come back, I found myself flying through the rest of the book in less than a couple of hours. Once I started to really focus on the stories as the paths started inching closer to the collision of time when it was 'one or the other,' I realized that Addie was going to get hosed, no matter which path she took. Which immediately made the story that much more interesting, once I realized that it would eventually come to down to more than just which boy should I choose?

The last part of the book surprised me. I had some suspicions about which path she was going to choose, but didn't realize that so much would need to be altered in order for this to happen. There is a HUGE speed bump which is now going to mess with everything that happens from here on out. I think there's real opportunity for book 2 to have some crazy stuff happen. My hope is that there will be a bigger presence of special abilities and powers. We got pretty far into this book before we started to see the ramifications of messing with potential outcomes.

This book provided from the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
32 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pivot Point.

Isamlq oooh! you're reading it.. I enjoyed this one :)

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza The synopsis of this book makes me think about that movie Sliding Doors with Gwenyth Paltrow. Interesting, can't wait to see if you like it.

CatchTheseWords Let me know if you enjoy this one, it looks like a great book and I'm hoping to read it soon.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Rebecca wrote: "The synopsis of this book makes me think about that movie Sliding Doors with Gwenyth Paltrow. Interesting, can't wait to see if you like it."

Yes. It is very similar to Sliding Doors, except that Addie actually gets to choose which path to take.

I struggled whether to round up or down between 3 and 4. The last part of the book was REALLY GOOD, but I thought the start was sort of dull. Not even boring necessarily...I just thought there should have been more crazy stuff going on with the powers right from the start, and instead it was all boys and regular high school life.

But either way, I still really liked the book because that ending was incredible. I might have to re-read this before book 2 to keep the details fresh in my head.

message 5: by Ian (last edited Feb 21, 2013 02:20PM) (new)

Ian Two paths...to read this book or not. lol, nice review but you haven't made the decision any easier.

Stacia (the 2010 club) It was just a slow starter. Like I said in the previous comment (and sorry for repeating for the second time after the review), it isn't that the book was boring - I just didn't personally care to see this girl living two different lives where nothing was happening other than her interest in two guys. But this was BECAUSE there were super powers in the story, so I hate when cool abilities take a back seat to mundane life.

But when you get to the last part of the book and see why it was all set up that way and how it played a huge part in the big decision she made, then you appreciate the set up a lot more. Book 2 seems like it's going to be a lot more adventurous (and possibly dangerous). And at least this time, if she's trying to risk something for love, you know that there's actually a risk involved now.

So I probably just made that more confusing. In a nutshell : it's not the best first-in-a-series book, but I think it was good enough, and does show that there might be a lot of promise to come.

message 7: by Ian (last edited Feb 21, 2013 02:42PM) (new)

Ian I don't mind books where not much happens...but the nothing has to be meaningful. I have better things to do than read a hundred pages about a guy struggling to change a vacuum cleaner bag.

I think that was one of the big problems I had with At Peace by Kristen Ashley...the nothing was completely meaningless and didn't really add anything to the story...it was just put in there to satisfy her fans.

message 8: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 21, 2013 02:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) I agree with At Peace. I could care less about what the minute details of someone's home or garden looks like, or how everyone at a bbq knows everyone else (yay, it's the 5th neighbor - not). It's just all too much.

There wasn't really any of that in this book. It all eventually had a connection to the bigger picture.

message 9: by Dd (new)

Dd Love the review S!!:))

message 11: by Brenna (new) - added it

Brenna Rebecca wrote: "The synopsis of this book makes me think about that movie Sliding Doors with Gwenyth Paltrow. Interesting, can't wait to see if you like it."

Rebecca, that was my first thought too! Great review Stacia, my interest is even more peaked now..

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks Brenna. :)

♥Rachel♥ I agree the ending really sets us up for "some crazy stuff" to happen. As always a fun and interesting review, Stacia! :)

message 14: by Karla (new)

Karla "3.5 stars (but the ending was 5 stars, so hurry up book 2!).
I love when a book brings it home in the end. Wonderful review Stacia!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks Rachel and Karla!

Melanie Smashing review! Getting more and more pumped for this book that is sitting on my lengthy 'bought TBR' books *sighs* if there were only more time...

Stacia (the 2010 club) There's never enough time. :(

Saania Zee Jamal ϟ I couldn't have said it better myself; you just just literally presented my thoughts exactly in review form c:

Stacia (the 2010 club) I was channeling you ahead of time. :p