Erin's Reviews > La Petite

La Petite by Michele Halberstadt

Jul 03, 12

bookshelves: 2012, read-non-fiction, netgalley
Read from June 24 to 30, 2012

This is a very short (I would even go so far as to say “fleeting”) memoir of the struggles Halberstadt faced when, at age 12, she lost her beloved grandfather. It’s painful and it’s real, and I recognized a lot of what she was describing. I wanted to reach out and help that little girl so badly, and make those around her see what no one was seeing. The book was filled with beautiful sentences that made me pause, contemplate, and read again. Halberstadt as a little girl reminded me of the heroine in “The Language of Flowers” which I happened to be reading at the same time. Both are experiencing enormous pain, and both are pushing away everyone who wants to love and help them until they find themselves in truly tragic circumstances.

My complaint though, is that this book ended too abruptly for me. Right when it seemed to be picking up momentum, it was over. How did it end for Halberstadt? How did she get from that sad, lonely little girl to where she is now? I feel like I read the first part of a three part book, and while I’m left not quite sated, it’s not in a great-book-and-they-knew-where-to-end-it-so-it-would-leave-me-wanting-more way, but in a vaguely unsatisfying way like I didn’t get my complete order at a restaurant.

I enjoyed it enough that I will be reading her again in the future.

*I received this ebook as an ARC via NetGalley.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read La Petite.