Katie's Reviews > The Secret Keeper: A Novel of Kateryn Parr

The Secret Keeper by Sandra Byrd

Jun 25, 2012

Read from June 24 to 25, 2012 — I own a copy

First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

Sandra Byrd is making me fall in love with the Tudor Era! In this next book in her Ladies-In-Waiting series, this talented author returns back into Henry VIII’s courts and delves into the life of Kateryn Parr, last wife to the king. I enjoyed The Secret Keeper even more then the first book in the series—and I really liked To Die For, as all can see from my review!

The characters were, once again, wonderfully depicted and portrayed. The intrigue of court made for many interesting character—I can’t tell you how many times I would have liked to slap some of them! I also thought that it was really neat that Meg, from To Die For, made a small appearance in this book. Amazing how lives intersect and entwine! Like everyone else (I am sure!) I really grew to like Jamie and his undying love for the main character, Juliana. The ending made me so happy, I couldn’t help smiling like a fool! So sweet. So long looked for. So deserved!

Byrd’s writing blew me away, personally! I felt like I was reading a book actually written in that time period—the English and manner of speech was so…Tudor! I totally loved that about The Secret Keeper! Not only was I transported back in time by her intriguing story plot and realistic characters, but also her period-accurate way of writing.

I learn so much from reading Byrd’s books. She has this wonderful way of merging fiction with fact so that I find myself learning so much history, but enjoying a work of fiction at the same time. All that said, I personally would only recommend The Secret Keeper for mature, adult readers, as there is a rather descriptive and violent rape scene in the book.

Seeing what Byrd has done with To Die For and now The Secret Keeper, I cannot wait to read Roses Have Thorns, which will be about Anne Boleyn’s daughter, Elizabeth I, next year. How I will last till then, I don’t know!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Keeper.

06/24/2012
21.0% "Totally into this book. LOVE the historical feel to the book, right down to the way Juliana speaks and thinks -- I feel like am literally IN that era! :-D"
06/25/2012
62.0% "Can't put it down!!"