Steve Evans's Reviews > Ashes of Deceit

Ashes of Deceit by Joleene Naylor

Jun 24, 12

Read in January, 2012

It is hard to know how to review current fiction, especially on a site like this. After all, to really qualify for five stars in the context of history, with writers like say Dostoevsky and Shakespeare and Euripides in the mix, a book/play/whatever would have to be up there with them. Few if any contemporary writers can seriously hope to get there. So for contemporary writers, to be able to give them five stars, I have had to adopt a different standard, as others give five stars to books I'd hesitate even to read.

Before reading Joleene Naylor's vampire books, I thought very little of this genre. Its sudden burst of popularity seemed like a phase teenagers go through more than anything adults would notice except perhaps in horror pun intended. I happened on this book's predecessor and enjoyed it a lot. This, the latest in a series that apparently the author plans to extend indefinitely, I enjoyed even more. The writing seems to me to be tighter, the characterisation fuller, the storyline more interesting, and the denouement convincing and exciting. The "lore" of vampires matters but the story itself extends beyond this and could be classed as a thriller were it not for the vampire aspects. It's an adult book not only because it has sex and violence that most parents would be reluctant for their children to read but for its underlying themes. Anyone interested in a different read could do a lot worse.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes of Deceit.