Barbara's Reviews > Short-Straw Bride

Short-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer

Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, romance
Read in June, 2012

Four stars out of five, in this genre. (Historical/romantic/faith fiction.)

This may get me in trouble with a few of my friends :-) but I've lost patience with a lot of "Christian fiction" writers...and right now there are only 2 or 3 I really look for. One of those is Karen Witemeyer. So I was pretty tickled to see something new (and unexpected) on the library shelf the other day.

Once again, a slightly intrepid female in 1800s Texas gets herself into a pickle and ends up married...to the man of her dreams. But there's a lot more story here than just a prairie romance. And that's what I like about Witemeyer's books. Sure, the romance is a good one and we're all rooting for it, but there's some growing up to do, a little adventuring, a challenge for both hero and heroine, and in this case, the hero's 3 brothers. They weren't quite as hopeless as the Pontipee boys (7 Brides for 7 Brothers)...but I could see a literary kinship. :-) It also had something gentle to say about the choices we make and how sometimes protecting ourselves can lead to isolation instead of friendship, community and love.

Good one -- thanks, Kathy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Short-Straw Bride.