Susan's Reviews > God's Hotel: A Doctor, a Hospital, and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine

God's Hotel by Victoria Sweet

3920904
Jun 25, 12

Dr. Victoria Sweet tells of her experiences as a physician in San Francisco's Laguna Honda Hospital, which was the last almshouse in the country. The sick poor who had fallen on hard times or were in need of extended medical care ended up there. The staff had the time to practice "slow medicine" until efficiency experts and politicians turned it into a modern facility.
She blended stories of her patients, her pilgrimage to Compostela, and her research of Hildegard, a German nun who practiced medicine in the Middle Ages.
Favorite take-away words to live by:
A regime is a set of rules for living, summarized by the proverb " Even without a doctor/You have three doctors at hand/Dr. Diet (what you should/should not eat),
Dr. Quiet (how much exercise, sleep and rest you should take)' and Dr. Merryman (what kind of emotions you should allow yourself).

Her description of having the time to actually sit with and diagnose a patient made me wistful for this gift of time in my classroom to sit with each of my students.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God's Hotel.