Deb's Reviews > 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health

21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart by Neal D. Barnard

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: health, non-fiction
Read in June, 2012

After viewing the film "Forks Over Knives" I decided to follow a plant-based diet. This book is just one of the many diet, nutrition and recipe books that focuses on the plant-based diet that the film advocated, but the fact that it was written by Dr. Neal Barnard, a well-known advocate for nutrition-based health, made me pick it up before reading any other books on the topic.

The book is set up to be followed as a 3-week dietary overhaul, giving up meat, dairy, fish and oils in favor of whole grains, legumes, vegetables and fruit. Like "Forks Over Knives", it starts by explaining the science behind the plant-based diet, and the health benefits that can be expected, not to mention the benefit to the planet which will come from less meat and poultry consumption. It then presents the 3-week meal plan, followed by recipes.

This is a very good introduction for anyone looking for more information on a plant-based diet. It is clearly written, and simple to follow. Even if you don't want to exactly follow the 21-day diet, the information the book presents will be helpful in getting started down the road to better health.

Oh, I forgot to mention.....I've been following a plant-based diet for about two weeks and have lost 5 lbs. already!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart.

message 1: by Judith (new)

Judith my vegan daughter tried a plant-based diet, said she never felt better, and she is still going strong! on the other hand, she lives in Chicago where most restaurants and all food stores have vegan selections conveniently marked as such.

message 2: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb That's wonderful! I think the world is beginning to come around, slowly.

message 3: by Judith (new)

Judith Yes, up in Boston yesterday, we stopped for ice cream and they had like 20 vegan flavors!

message 4: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb Wow, that's impressive!