Rae's Reviews > The Lost Hero

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Jun 24, 2012

bookshelves: book-series, mythology, fantasy, contemporary, humor, reviewed

Should Rick Riordan add another Percy Jackson spin-off, this patently quick-witted fantasy would be a welcome addition to that of the original series. Consequently, I am embracing the primeval book in the Heroes of Olympus series with open arms. Fresh characters, neoteric adversaries, tumultuous feats, and souped-up world-building—sounds tasty, why not?

In retrospect, The Lost Hero doesn’t deviate much from the Percy Jackson books. It has the same combination of fast-paced schemes, treacherous monsters, humor, and the coalescence of modernity and mythology. Readers may be reprieved let they’d be feeling déjà vu from page one and onwards howbeit the slightly differences it encompasses.

Instead of the usual first-person narration from Percy, this one is told through the alternating person view, revolving around our three protagonists: Jason, Leo, and Piper.

One more thing, save your tissues just for now as, yes, our favorite hero, Percy, is still on the loose. Just discover for yourself where he’d gone, haha.

Though I’d been a bit confused with the Greek-to-Roman recurrences of terminologies, it still did not thwart my gusto with regards to the story. Most importantly, the appearance of new characters, specifically Leo, added to the typical delight often acquainted by my reading of Riordan’s books. I mean, seriously, who wouldn’t fall in love with this guy? His funny antics, knack for tinkering, and the ability to use fire—dang, he’s just too awesome.

Inclusively, The Lost Hero did not just recompense for my prevailing loss for the culmination of the Percy Jackson books, but heightened my anticipation for the coming ones. The first series may be that brilliant, but the newly-created series leaves a better impression of breathtaking possibilities. Yes, I have a new favorite.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Hero.