Suicide Blonde's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Aug 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012, books-we-own

Who am I, at this point in history, to criticize Jane Austen? The strength of her stories has long since been proven, and nothing that an individual reader nowadays has to say could change the tide of love towards them. This being the first of her novels I've read (truth!) after watching film adaptions of her stories for years now, I will say that the movies bring more to her stories than she was able to. Her language is beautiful, precise, witty, but constrained. There is little room for flourishes, something that film has been able to add, in most cases, with a deft and beautiful hand.

Quotes Suicide Liked

Jane Austen
“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Jane Austen
“I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.”
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice