Carol's Reviews > Trapeze

Trapeze by Simon Mawer

Jun 24, 12

Read from June 23 to 24, 2012

4 Stars - 3 Stars - 4 Stars

Is it me or is it the book?

At the outset I was very interested in reading Trapeze as it promised a peek into ta little known piece of World War II history --a fictionalized account of the 39 women, members of The French Section of the Special Operative Executive.

As someone who has tandem jumped and who also is the niece of a World War II parachutist who died doing just that during the Battle of the Bulge, I was intrigued by the thought of these women who parachuted into danger during the war.

4 Stars for the characterization of Marian, Alice, Ann-Marie, Laurence.
I love strong female characters with a mission.

4 Stars for Marian's recruitment and the working of the Inter-Service Research Bureau

4 Stars for the strong female voice, dialog, espionage, writing and the plot.

3 Stars as somewhere in the middle I started getting bored, perhaps just me, and wanted the author to get to the point.

4 Stars for the last pages when the the action picked up and climaxed in a fitting finish.

Be certain to search for and read the true accounts that inspired this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trapeze.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Looks like you struggled with a rating like I did, Carol, but you've lined it out nicely with what worked and didn't work for you.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Carol,

Carol Cheryl wrote: "Carol,
You might also want to read Jackdaws by Ken Follet. Similar theme. Based on a true story. It's really good too."

I'll add it. I like Follet but haven't read Jackdaws.

message 4: by Carol (last edited Jun 24, 2012 07:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Carol Jeanette wrote: "Looks like you struggled with a rating like I did, Carol, but you've lined it out nicely with what worked and didn't work for you."

Jeanette also said "Merde alors!" and I say YES!

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" That was the first I'd ever heard of that expression, Carol. Very useful if I could pronounce it correctly.

Carol :) My pronunciations of most languages other than English is poor! but I really like the sound of French, Italian and Spanish.

Cynthia Carol you've jumped?? I'm impressed. If you hear of books that focus on the women agents I'd love to hear about them. I just read 'double cross' by Macintyre which wasn't just about women but he included several female double agents and their WWII activities.

Carol Yes, I jumped! I always giggled about the thought of jumping and finally did on my 50th birthday, a bit ago. What a rush! I loved the experience. The free fall was just incredible. Believe me I'm a whimp but this was so much fun.

As for the agents, I read accounts of them on internet sites. One of particular interest is Violette Szabo
- here's a quote from the website.
"Violette Szabo has become the most celebrated of all SOE agents. A biography by R.J. Minney, Carve Her Name with Pride, was published in 1956, followed by a film adaptation in 1958 starring Virginia McKenna and Paul Scofield. More recent biographies include Susan Ottaway's The Life That I Have (2001), and Young, Brave and Beautiful (2007), written by Violette's daughter Tania. Her poem code, 'The Life That I Have', written by the head of SOE's coding section Leo Marks, has also been published separately."

I should read at least one of these.

Cynthia Thanks!

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" "Yes, I jumped! I always giggled about the thought of jumping and finally did on my 50th birthday, a bit ago. What a rush! I loved the experience. The free fall was just incredible. Believe me I'm a whimp but this was so much fun."

Wow, Carol! The things we learn about people on Good Reads. You are more than a woman! This is the kind of thing we think we have to do when we're young if we're going to do it at all, so I'm doubly impressed that you did it at 50.

Cynthia "Her poem code, 'The Life That I Have', written by the head of SOE's coding section Leo Marks, has also been published separately.""

That poem was schmaltzy and incredibly moving all at the same time.

Carol you are a detailed reader!