Abigail's Reviews > The Angel's Game

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: bea-supplement-2012, read-2012, books-about-books, magical-realism
Read from July 01 to 07, 2012, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** After reading "Shadow of the Wind," I found "Angel's Game" disappointing.

While often narratives of a person's life where events and a plot happen, I found it hard to slog through it. The pacing was a bit off. Ruiz Zafón grabs the reader in the beginning with talking about the life of a writer, one David Martín, then the mysterious element is introduced. Instead of keeping up the pace and raising the stakes as he did in "Shadow of the Wind," we're lead to the trials and tribulations of David's life. These were the moments I had to take a break from the book and felt that it was weighing me down. In most cases about the time I felt like that, something interesting would happen and grab my attention once again. I kept hoping that the little details that we were given about David's journey were going to all come together like they did in "Shadow."

Actually the part I found most interesting was the part near the end when David was taken by the police and he told his story to the inspector only to have the inspector come back and tell him how all of it was a load of bull. I felt a stirring of hope here. Was David mad? had he imagined everything that happened? Was it like "Fight Club" and he orchestrated everything? What followed this admission was an action packed running from the cops waving a gun around madness that didn't really fit the rest of the book. I was really beginning to go with my "Fight Club" notion. I was disappointed to find it was only a simple cover up for money.

Overall I was just plain disappointed. My other initial reaction was "WTF?" by the time I got to the end. Where "Shadow" had elements of magical realism that then were boiled down to explainable events, "Angel's Game" had flat out magical realism. It was another disappointing thing for me as I kept wanting the magical elements (ie: who "boss" was and why the hell didn't he or David ever age?) to be explained away. (That was one of my favourite bits in "Shadow" where the impossible actually became possible.)

Now "Angel's Game" wasn't all bad. As a writer, I particularly liked the insight into a writer's soul regarding the process. And if it wasn't 2 in the morning and I wasn't sitting on the floor with my laptop as to not wake my boyfriend, I would flip through the book and look for quotes. As it is, I have to get up early tomorrow so I don't have that luxury. However, I'm assure someone's already posted them somewhere on goodreads.

I also would like to add that I quite enjoyed Isabella. I think she was my favourite part of the book and parts of her during her introduction reminded me of me. Only I'm not as much as a neat freak, I can't cook as well and there's no way in hell I'd be able to adhere to the "no sarcasm until the afternoon" rule.

I feel bad that I don't have anything else really to say. Other than this book did make me laugh out loud a few times (Mostly during Isabella scenes.) Overall, I just found it lacking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel's Game.

07/02/2012 page 105
07/04/2012 page 350
47.0% "I rather like Isabella. She reminds me a bit of me. Although, I don't think I'd be able to live with the "no sarcasm until afternoon" rule. Also, I'm not that much of a cleaning fanatic."
show 2 hidden updates…