Cathal's Reviews > The Devotion of Suspect X

The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino

M_50x66
Jun 24, 12

After Yasuko kills her lout of an ex husband in a fit of rage, her inscrutable maths genius neighbour Ishigami steps in and concocts an elaborate plan to help her escape retribution. A cat and mouse game follows as Detective Kusanagi tries to figure out the most mysterious case he's ever faced, and Ishigami and Yasuko try to evade capture.

The opening 40 pages or so, establishing Ishigami's fixation on Yasuko, are somewhat clunky and uninteresting, but the books gets much more interesting after the murder occurs. There is unfortunately some clunky and flat prose to contend with also- I'm not sure how much of this can be put down to the translation. The characters are generally well realised though not particularly complex psychologically- Ishigami is probably the most interesting.

Broadly speaking, I enjoyed this book, though I'm not a great reader of the crime genre. The sections where Kusanagi was delineating the complexities of the case were clearly supposed to thrill but mostly confused me. This might be my fault for not being used to reading this kind of thing, but I sometimes felt that I was missing the significance of the supposed revelations. The book ends with a good twist I didn't see coming, but I really don't see myself ever reading this again- I feel that there's nothing to be gained from multiple readings. I recommend it for everyone who likes a good yarn but maybe get from a library or borrow from a friend rather than buy a copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devotion of Suspect X.