Judy's Reviews > Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover if Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, or Why Pie is Not the Answer

Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster

Oct 16, 08

Recommended to Judy by: Samantha Wills

Now this book didn't really rate a 5, but it is certainly in 4.5 territory. I loved this book. It's for all of the women who have struggled to lose weight and have been subjected to comments like "You have such a pretty face." I don't get that particular remark. I more often hear, "You in the white skirt, would you mind bending over so that I can show my Right to Life filmstrip on your butt." No, that's not true. Sometimes it's a video about how the surge has made us more protected and how the rest of the world stands in awe of GWBush. This book is for all women who have struggled with weight (and even those men who, while shopping for a suit, are told by the salesperson, "Let's try this in a "banker's cut", while making a sound that might be a sympathic chuckle or may be a sneer.) The author is approaching 40 and is told by her doctor that she needs to lose weight, a lot of weight, to avoid serious health issues. She finally decides "what good is finally being able to afford a pedicure if I lose a foot to adult-onset diabetes?" Knowing that she needs pressure to perform, she pitches a proposal for a book detailing her attempt to lose 50 pounds. Jen Lancaster is my new hero for this hilarious book. If I ever meet her, I'm going to run up, wrap my pudgy arms around her size 24 body (less now), tell her I loved her book, and then ask for her recipe for mashed potatoes (she swears that if she could figure out how to sell them on a stick, she would make a fortune). I read this book while lounging on the beach and frequently laughed to the point of tears. Attracting the attention of people sitting nearby, I quickly put down the book and pretended that I was having a seizure. Be honest, people want to get into your business if you are having fun, but if they think that it's an actual medical emergency, you become invisible. Read this book. You will be glad that you did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Pretty Fat.